Chapter Twenty-Two

May 28, 2018

Zach propped his arms on the ledge of the sound booth and leaned forward, reaching out to touch Maeve's hand.

"Your hands are so tiny," he said, letting out a laugh as she swatted his hand away, keeping her eyes down as she changed some of the lighting levels onstage.

"Yes, Zach," she said, preoccupied, "we've talked about this many times."

He watched her fondly for a few moments before allowing his eyes to flick down to what she was working on.

"You've never explained any of this to me," he said.

She glanced at him, a faint smile crossing her face.

"Well," she started, turning a dial on the board, "the main thing is, every venue is different. Yes, most settings will stay the same from show to show, but again, every building is unique so changing levels on mics and lights and sound makes the performance just like the ones before it."

He nodded, eyes on the stage, and she planned to keep talking, but her mind stopped her.

She hadn't stopped thinking about the fact that any day now, he was going to ask her why she had acted off the week following seeing Kendra. She said she would tell him later, and when he asked, she would have to tell him that he was the reason, that she didn't kiss Greyson because Greyson wasn't him, and that she didn't believe what Kendra had warned her about was true because even though she wasn't entirely sure she knew what love was, she felt like she did when thinking of him.

Whenever that day was would be the day she would automatically have to confess her feelings for him. Every possibility of how he could react caused anxiety to churn in her heart, but she thought about it often.

Maybe what Corbyn told her was true. Maybe what Jess got excited over was right. Maybe he did look at her the same way she looked at him, maybe he did care about her past the friendship sense, and maybe he did want something more with her.

But maybe he didn't.

And that unknown was terrifying.

ᴛᴏᴏ ʏᴏᴜɴɢ »  ᴢᴀᴄʜ ʜᴇʀʀᴏɴजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें