Chapter 8: Date

Never in my life have I ever attended a Christmas party cause aren’t they always like in the movies? Don't you always find someone drinking too much and cheating on their significant other? Maybe that’s just office parties. But teenage parties are like that I know because I'm sitting here watching Christy Ruder make out with some kid who’s not her boyfriend. Then there's some boy who kissed his girlfriend goodbye then walked upstairs with another girl. Maybe this is only what happens at Peter’s parties because I don't think Christmas parties are meant for you to get all nasty.

As a precaution I don't plan on letting Noah’s hand go. We will not leave each other’s sights tonight because I will not be the girlfriend who that guy kissed goodbye and Noah will not be that random guy that Christy is making out with. I know it sounds like I don't trust him but that’s not true. I don't trust the alcohol.

We hadn’t even been at the party for ten minutes and Noah was already trying to let my hand go. Why would he think that I was letting him go to the bathroom by himself?

“Um Gregg I really like holding your hand and all but it’s really hot in here.”

“No way am I letting your hand go. If I let you go tonight I'm almost positive that I’ll lose you.”

“Well I don't want to just stand in this corner all night. How about we go get something to drink?”

“I brought a bottle of water in case you got thirsty so we don't have to drink anything from here.” I pulled a bottle of water out of my bag with the biggest smile on my face. Yeah I thought of everything.

“No I meant like a beer or something. Let’s go drink.” Before I knew it we were in the kitchen. I was practically dragged there but at least he never let my hand go. “Here take this one.” He said handing me a cold can.

I opened the can with caution and began to sniff it. “This crap stinks!” Noah was already downing his as he swayed to the beat of the music. “Noah this smells disgusting take it back.”

“Dude if you don't drink it, I won’t hold your hand anymore tonight.” Wait a second who does he think he’s talking to? I won’t hold his hand if he doesn’t get this crap out of my face.

My actions are louder than my thoughts because I found myself downing the beer alongside Noah. I finished it pretty fast for someone who choked after every sip. “You see?” he said nudging me “It wasn’t that bad.”

“You freaking alcoholic. How could you make your poor boyfriend drink against his will?”

“Come here.” He pulled me under his arm and hugged me really tight. “Let’s go dance.”

“I don’t want to dance. I want to go sit down.”

 “Greggy bear this is a big kid’s party. You don't get to sit down at a big kid’s party unless you’re tired from dancing ok babe.”

“Don’t talk down to me like that. I’ve been to parties before but I usually just stand in a corner and wait until Sherrie’s ready to go home.