Chapter 22: Noah and Peter

Noah and Peter: Flashback of from the Ninth Grade

*Noah's Last name is Macey*

Noah:

“Come on Mace, just take this and you’ll feel better I promise.” My friend Peter pushed a pill into my face expecting me to take it. Every time he throws one of these parties he always manages to drug everyone up. Everyone except for me that is, since I'm used to his tricks.

Peter and I met a few weeks ago. We were both trying out for the swim team at the time and apparently I was his biggest competition. I had only been swimming for about two years while he’d been swimming his entire life so I didn’t really see myself as competition for him. I could tell he didn’t really like me at first but he began warming up to me when I asked him to teach me the back stroke. I guess I made him feel like he was superior or something. In my head he was already superior since he knew everything there was to know about swimming and everything there was to know about people.

“I don’t want that.” I said slapping his hand out of my face. He pouted then sat down next to me.

“Hey if you’re going to be such a stick in the mud then maybe you should be hanging out with him.” He pointed to a kid in the corner of the living room sitting by himself.

“You mean Gregg? What’s wrong with him?”

“Oh that’s his name. I just know that he’s boring and annoying and he’s my lab partner.”

“You don’t know your own lab partner’s name?”

“I do now. How do you even know him?” I blushed and stood up.

“I think I’ll go chill with him.”

“Mace no, that is social suicide. If there was a food chain for these things, he would be at the bottom of it. What if people see you talking to him? They might think I speak to him to.”

“You “speak” to everyone Peter so stop being stupid.” I felt him grab my wrist as I began to walk away.

“Hold on get back here.” He pulled me onto his lap like I didn’t weigh a thing. “Why’d you say that like that? Are you jealous? Do you want me to speak to you like that?” he smirked and wrapped his arms around my waist.

“Peter stop.” I blushed as I tried to break free. When I was tired I gave up and settled down in his lap and scanned the room for Gregg. He was still alone in the corner. I must have been staring at him for a while because suddenly he made eye contact with me and he didn’t look too happy.

“Why don’t you get cute for me huh? I could talk to you like the other boys if I found you even remotely cute. Do you think that these glasses are cute or these braces? For god sakes clean yourself up Mace.” He stood up and dropped me out of his lap causing me to hit the floor pretty hard. Luckily the music was playing too loud for anyone to hear the thump.

I couldn’t even sleep that night. Everything that Peter had said was on replay in my head. I pulled the blanket over my head and rolled over to the wall. Who does Peter think he is telling that I'm not cute? If I wasn’t cute then would he be hanging out with me? Or maybe Peter is just like that. And he doesn’t really care how I look if he’s not going to screw me. But Gregg is so cute and Peter hates him so much. I scrunched up my toes and curled into a ball. Just thinking about Gregg made me nervous. I had been thinking about Gregg since kindergarten and I still couldn’t stop myself from turning red.