one • flashbacks & reuniting

mackenzie ziegler

i walked down the hallways of what we call west high. it was just september, one month in of school.

my bestfriends are annie, ruby, and brynn. now of course there were the boys. carson, joey, hayden, and ashton. all of us have known each other since we were five.

but there were two more before that. i met johnny and lauren when i was just three. our moms were bestfriends from college.

and you maybe be wondering where they went.

*flashback*

'do you have to go?' my nine year old self exclaimed, tears fell out.

'i'm sorry mackenzie dear, but we have to. our family needs us back in Canada.' meredith, johnny and lauren's mother said.

'will you be back?' i asked while more tears started coming down from my eyes.

'right now we are unsure of that. we don't know if we will come back or even when if possible.' meredith answered.

i trudged back to lauren and johnny who were sitting on the couch, also crying.

'i'm gonna miss you.' i pulled lauren into a tight hug until she couldn't breathe.

'me too but you're gonna have to let us breathe, mackenzie.' lauren utters.

'i'm sorry kenz.' johnny says.

'it's not your fault. your family needs you back in Canada and you can't do anything about it.' i said while pulling him into a hug as well.

and then they left. just gone.

*end of flashback*

i haven't talked to either of them since. i don't follow their socials or anything either.
therefore i don't know what their current selves look like. and they don't know what i look like.

it's hard not contacting your two closest bestfriends. it's like a world is being torn between you. i guess i'm use to it now. or not, even seven years later.

who knows if they'll come back. or even will. tears start forming in my eyes just thinking about the orlandos.

i wonder if johnny is still the same goofy and smiley boy he always was. the charming boy who never failed to make me smile. the boy who always made me laugh.

and i wonder if his sister, lauren ever thinks about me. oh probably not. since we haven't talked since we were nine, i highly doubt it.

'kenzie are you okay?' brynn asks worriedly.

'i'm fine, trust me.' i answer while wiping tears from my eyes using my sleeves.

our first few periods pass by quickly, i bring my tray and meet up with the rest of the group outside at lunch.

'so, did you hear the orlandos were back in town?' annie asked.