Chapter Six

SIX

I don't remember anything after agreeing to marry Danyl; I just woke up in my bedroom.

At first I thought maybe I dreamed the whole thing - including Danyl himself - but I went off that idea when I saw the date on my calendar beside my bed.

I thought over what had happened. Narmuls? There was no way they could be real. Agreeing to become Danyl's queen only six days before my sixteenth birthday? There was no way I would have really agreed to that, right?

I trotted from my bedroom into the kitchen. Mum was already fixing me some oatmeal. Damn, I thought, I knew the royal treatment wouldn't last.

I took a place at the kitchen table, like every morning, and waited quitely and patiently. Mum faced towards me with a concerned look. "You know," she spoke, "that Danyl fellow called a bit earlier. He wants you return the call. The number's on the fridge."

I glanced over to the fridge door, where many notes and bills were hanging, and saw a recent one with some numbers scribbled over it. I eyed it strangely. I wondered what he could have wanted from me so soon.

"O...kay." I replied, confusion colouring my face.

Mum put the oatmeal aside for a moment and sat across from me at the table. "You look a bit pale, honey. You okay?"

I nodded my assent. "Yeah, of course, just tired."

"Is there something you're not telling me?" She scolded.

Ugh, she was just so irritating sometimes. The second I looked unsure about something, she assumed I wasn't telling the whole truths. Mothers, right?

"Oh, mum, you worry way too much." I responded.

With a roll of her eyes, she spoke again. "I mean with Danyl. You've been seeing a lot of him lately. Is there anything going on I should know about?"

Well, you know, I just agreed to marry him and become his queen in a land from another time which I'm not even entirely convinced exists, I thought. But I shook my head reassuringly. "Nah," I said, "I just feel really bad for ruining his car, so I've been trying to make it up to him is all."

She nodded her head approvingly and I didn't hear another word about it before she placed my breakfast in front of me. I shovelled it in, eager to call Danyl back.

Racing over to the fridge and grabbing the note, I dialed his number into the phone.

"Adara?" Came the voice on the other end.

"Yeah." I said, softly. "Why'd you call?"

I heard silence for a moment, before he spoke again. "I was just wondering if you got home alright." He choked.

I scrunched my eyebrows together. "Huh?"

"You fainted."

"I what?"

"After you agreed to be my queen, you fainted." He explained.

I started into the phone. No wonder I didn't remember anything else. "Oh, well," I said, "yeah, I'm fine. That it?"

"Yes, Adara, that is it. Goodbye, gorgeous." He said, before hanging up the phone.

Gorgeous? Well sure, if someone that damn attractive was going to call me gorgeous, I wasn't going to complain. In fact, I wanted to do the opposite. I wanted to boast a little.