Chapter 1:

“Mr. Harvey couldn’t be any more annoying. What is up with that guy? I think he needs a little more bed action. No one can be that grumpy and ruin everyone else’s day like that.”

            I pretended to listen to my friend, Lilly, who was going on about how our teacher, Mr. Harvey lectured us about how this generation wasn’t using our brains “to the best of our abilities” Last hour. Please! The creation of smart phones? And robotic people? I’d like to say that we are definitely using our brains to the best of our abilities.

            “I mean, and who cares if we drink and party a little?”

            Okay, Mr. Harvey had a point there. All the drinking, smoking, and partying bullshit did need to lighten up. Seriously. That was the only reason why he gave us the God awfully long lecture instead of teaching us about the wonderful(not!) world of triangles! A ton of Roosevelt’s students were at some party. And then a kid left while driving drunk and caused a super mega huge car crash because of it. No one was fatally or brutally hurt thankfully and they didn’t suspend anyone, because it wasn’t on school property or anything, but we did receive hell for it in class. I didn’t care that much. It wasn’t like I was enjoying what we were learning about to begin with. But I just kept wondering if my class was receiving what we called annoying it must have been horrible for the seniors considering the party was originally for the seniors.

            “Kyleigh!  Are you even listening to me?”

            “Huh? Yes, of course.” I said mechanically as we reached our lockers.

            “Really? Then what was the last thing I said?” She said as she placed her hand on her hip which was typical Lilly fashion. She always called me sassy but I would like she was the real sass in this friendship.

            I blinked at her, opened my mouth, and then closed it again. Why did I even try? I knew I hadn’t been listening.

            She huffed. “Kyleigh, you have horrible listening skills,” she said as she opened up her locker.

            I shrugged. “Or I could just be really, really good at tuning you out.” I grabbed what I needed for my horrible pile of homework waiting for me to get frustrated over and closed my locker.

            I wasn’t surprised to see the handsome hunk with jet black hair and amber eyes standing on the other side of my locker door.

            “Hey babe!” he said with his bright smile.

            I rolled my eyes. “Hi, Darren.”

            He duck in to kiss me but I put my hand on his face and pushed him away. “Don’t you have somewhere to be?” I asked him.

            He pouted. “The team can wait.”

            I frowned at him. “No they can’t! You’re captain! You guys have a big game tomorrow!”

            He sighed. His breath hit me—it smelled like spearmint. But just under that spearmint I could smell…. I glared at him and punched him in the arm. “Have you been smoking again!” I asked in disbelief.

            His eyes widened slightly but then went back to normal as a means to hide his truthful answer. But it was too late—I knew he had done it.

            “Darren!” I exclaimed.

            “Oh shit,” Lilly said then sighed. “Well, Jack is outside waiting for me. I’ll call you later, Ky.” She hurried out of the empty hallway as quick as possible to get away from my oncoming explosion.