Chapter 9:

"Kyleigh!" A voice said and I had never been so thankful for a teacher to call my name. I quickly whirled my head around to face the teacher and walked up to her. My oh my was she pretty. It was kinda intimidating. Her skin was the color of beautiful milk chocolate and her eyes were a luminous amber. She wore her hair naturally in ringlet like coils that framed her face in a big fro. She was tall and had curves that would make any guy drool. She looked like some African goddess come to Earth. She gave me a large and bright smile. "Welcome to Target Archery! I'm Nicolette Montagne. You may just call me Nicolette. How has your day been?"

I blinked at her kindness. "It's been pretty nice. All of my classes are quite interesting. I couldn't wait to get to this one though."

"Because it's your last hour?" She asked with a smirk.

I widened my eyes. "Oh no! I'm just excited to take this class."

She chuckled. "I know, I'm just kidding. Tell me, do you have any experience with a bow and arrow?"

I shrugged. "Not much. I mean, there have been medieval festivals if that counts at all, but no professional training in the sport."

She nodded. "Alright. I appreciate your honesty. Most students will go on and say that they have had experience and end up being a complete flop. As soon as I get the other students situated, I will take you to our stash and we can pic a bow that you feel comfortable with. That bow will be yours for the rest of the semester. Sounds like a plan?"

"Yep!"

She smiled. "Great." She turned to face the other students and I stayed up there with her and tried to look everywhere but at the pair of red eyes that were burning holes into forehead. Once she was through giving them their objective and assignment for today, the students went off to retrieve their bows and arrows. Once they had their weaponry and went off to their stations, we went into the barn where all the weaponry was held. We went through a few bows. It wasn't until the seventh one did I truly feel comfortable. It one made of mahogany wood in a classic style. It was a perfect fit for my hands and I didn't feel like it was too big for me.

"I'll show you the basic things you need to know as soon as we get you to your station," Nicolette said as we walked out of the barn and onto the range. There was a target waiting for me and-

...

Of fucking course.

I was right next to that Bonesmith Kid.

"We have our stations set up in alphabetical order. You will be next to Mr. Hosokaya and, on some days, you two shall be partners if needed."

I'm not gonna lie. That was pretty annoying. I mean, she couldn't help that our names fell next to each other in the alphabet, but I had to be near him in one class already. And that was more than creepy enough to fill my creep factor.

Just then a phone rang, bringing me out of my mental babble. Nicolette answered it in a heartbeat. "This is Nicolette. Yes? Alright, I'll be right there." She ended the call and gave me a sympathetic look. "I'm needed at an emergency Council meeting. Why don't you just sit out for today and I can help you with the basis tomorrow?"

"Uh su-"

"I can help her, Nicolette. If that's not a problem."

My jaw dropped six feet into the ground. He did not just offer to help me. What did this kid want with me?

Nicolette grinned. "That's a great idea!" She looked at me and I quickly fixed my face. "Mr. Hosokaya is a great archer. He'll teach you as much as I could. Thank you for volunteering. I'll definitely be sure to give you extra points for today's activity. Okay, I need to leave now. Good luck!"