and the insane

*Aarons POV*

I couldn't control my thoughts as they whirled through my head, I couldn't concentrate on a single thread, I couldn't stop the sobbing, Tria is crying but she's also smiling, how can she be smiling after everything that had happened!

"Aaron? The alien said we're going to a pet house, will you be alright?" I had managed to catch those words, and concentrated on them until I centred my thoughts, "will I be alright?" I repeated angrily, "that creature didn't even try to hurt me! Imagine what could have happened if it did!" I shouted, biting my tongue to prevent another outburst.

She didn't react, she just continued watching me with a concerned look in her eyes, her hair a tangled mess and a surprisingly clean face, she wasn't a pretty person but possibly in the past she would have been called cute.
She was talking and I couldn't hear it as I continued to examine her, with nails short and chewed on, holey clothes and shoeless, "when are we going to the pet house?" I asked, interrupting whatever she had been saying, she looked confused and another voice, this one slightly robotic with the translator, "we are approaching pet house scya in your time of 10 minutes" explained an alien, I looked at the alien, and sighed, Tria looked like she wanted to ask me something but thought against it.

We were led out of the space craft, we entered a huge building with multiple sized doorways, we were led past windows looking into rooms which held other pet species, I didn't care about those ones. I only care about myself, my life feels far more important to me, more than it ever did before. We were approaching metal double doors down a hallway, "the human pen is incomplete, so it is only used to hold humans for a small period of time, until we gain enough knowledge on your species to create a favorable habitat design" explained the alien leading us, Tria gave me a confused glance, I didn't share it, I was done with caring about what the aliens had to say.

The room was covered with straw and wood shavings, it was full of humans, there was probably around 20 humans, there was a man at the back sitting with his knees up to his chin and muttering with a maniacal look in his eyes, I immediately knew to avoid him, "meals will come from this part of the wall and water is always available over there from those taps" explained the alien before leaving, it quickly turned back "oh and inspection and clean up happens every few days" added the alien before shutting the heavy looking doors, there was a light that simulated sunshine on the ceiling, many people stuck to their pairs and far away from the crazy looking man, there was a horrible smell and I couldn't tell where it was coming from, Tria dashed away, she had a slight limp and was a lot slower due to our desperate escape of the warzone, I followed, and there sat Simon beside another person we haven't seen before, "I thought you two weren't coming here?" Said Simon looking confused but relieved, "uhh I'd prefer we didn't discuss that" sighed Tria, Simon just nodded before pointing to the boy with him, "this is.... Well I call him Mason, he's a mute, according to that girl over there, he stopped talking after his first owner started training him, he lost his companion to that previous owner, so the alien said we are to be companions!" Explained Simon, I looked at the boy, he was scrawny, had straw blonde hair and blue eyes, he just looked like he was going to cry, Tria stared at them and gave 'Mason' a hug who happily accepted it, "looks more like a Tom to me" I said trying to sound inviting, Simon grinned, "he likes Mason, I tried Tom, but he just shook his head" laughed Simon, and I smiled, there was something about seeing someone who had been so broken smiling happily.

We sat together and chatted for a while, a shout grabbed our attention, it was the crazy man, he had stood up and was now pacing, the light above was fading into more of a moon type lighting, he was muttering and shouting, he screamed and charged at someone attacking and strangling his poor victim, the companion of the victim was the only one who tried to help, everyone else was to afraid, "what happened to him?" I asked Simon, he frowned, Mason hid himself behind Tria who was looking away, a look of horror on her face, "apparently he just went insane, he didn't even have a bad owner, he just couldn't deal with everything so he lost it, and in the straw beside him is his dead companion" explained Simon, he had a sad look in his eyes, "how many has he killed?" I asked confused, "just 3, his companion, a pair of girls who kept crying, and now it'll be two more" explained Simon, he looked really upset and moved closer to the side wall. The wailing and shouting of the pair stopped after a bit longer, the sound of straw being moved about told me the man was hiding the bodies, "how could someone go that far into insanity?" I asked quietly, "it happens, even on earth some people just snap" stated someone from a nearby pair, I nodded and quietly huddled beside Simon, our four person group was closely entwined as we leant against the wall, sleep forcing itself onto us.

I woke to the sound of whirring, I looked to see a portion of a wall open up and extend out a conveyer belt which had plates on it, everyone got up and picked up a plate, Tria and Mason carried over plates passing one to me and one to Simon, we ate in silence, until Mason went to get us cups of water, Simon and I decided to put the now empty plates on the conveyer belt since the other two had brought them over, the man had grabbed 2 plates and stuffed the food into his mouth.

Once all the plates were back on the belt it retreated into the wall and closed the opening, we continued to talk about childish things.

Nighttime came around once more, the man didn't pace about this time, he got up when nearly everyone was asleep, our group watched him, he was passing and looking at all of the pairs, he saw us watching and charged, he went for Tria, who was quite commendably preventing Mason from being noticed, I tried punching and kicking, this guy acted as if he couldn't feel, everyone woke up and began watching, he had Tria on the ground his bloodied fingers around her neck, I punched his back, my fist went straight through him, I realised I had used my fake arm, it had gone straight through his ribs, he stumbled away from Tria, gazing at me, his heart hanging out, dangling by his arteries, veins dangled, I wanted to puke but I also couldn't feel any disgust, a sense of terror over took the people in the room, the desire to preserve their lives, they tore him apart, and in his basically dead state he couldn't do anything, as people grabbed, ripped and destroyed him, human instinct and the humans desire to preserve itself is truly terrifying, we left his bloody remains. The next morning the alien cleaners came in horrified but not upset.