3: The Barrens

We make it to the barrens and set our bikes down, then walk to the opening.

"That's poison ivy, that's poison ivy, and that's poison ivy," Stan says pointing around at different plants.

"Where? Where's the poison ivy?" Eddie says frantic.

"Nowhere! Not every fucking plant is poison ivy, Stanley!" Richie shouts. I laugh loudly and Stanley glares at me, so I quickly cover my mouth with my hand while Richie smiles at me.

"Well I'm starting to get itchy now, and I'm pretty sure this is not just my--" Eddie says.

"Do you use the same bathroom as your mother?" Richie interrupts.

"Sometimes, yeah."

"Then you probably have crabs."

"That's so not funny."

Bill walks in to the sewer while Eddie, Stanley, and I stand there, blocking Richie from entering. It's filled with discolored water, trash, and shit. There's no way I'm walking in that.

"Aren't you guys going in?" Richie asks us.

"I'm not walking in that," I say.

"It's just a little sewage," Richie replies.

"It's disgusting."

"Come on, hot stuff, live a little."

I shake my head. "I like these shoes." Richie rolls his eyes. Before I can react, Richie pushed me in to the sewer and I land in the water with a splash.

"Richie!" I screech. Richie laughs his head off while Eddie looks in disgust. I am covered in poop water. "This is so not funny!" Richie can't respond because he's too busy dying of laughter.

"At least help me up asshole," I say holding out my hand.

"Okay, okay," Richie says, calming down. He holds his hand out and instead of getting up, I pull him in to the water with me.

"What the fuck?!" He yells, landing next to me.

"That's grey water," Eddie states, shaking his head.

"What the hell is grey water?" Richie asks, standing up. This time when he holds his hand out to me, I take it and stand up.

"It's basically piss and shit, so I'm just telling you, you guys are splashing around in millions of gallons of Derry pee, so...what are you--are you serious, what are you..."

Richie sniffs his shirt that's covered in sewer water. "Doesn't smell like caca to me senor!" He says to Eddie, using one of his impersonations. I laugh at his stupid fake accent.

"Okay, I can smell you from here."

"It's probably just your breath wafting back into your face."

"Oo, that was a good one," I laugh, and he smiles.

"Have you ever heard of a staph infection?"

"Oh, I'll show you a staph infection!"

"This is--this is so unsanitary! You're literally--this is literally like swimming around inside of a toilet bowl right now! I mean, have you ever heard of--AHHH!!!" As Eddie was rambling Richie picked up something from the water with a stick and threw it at him. "Are you--this is--are you retarded?! I mean--this--you're, you're the reason why we're in this position right now--"

"GUYS!" Bill shouts. We look over see Bill holding up a shoe.

"Shit, don't tell me that's..." Stanley says worriedly.

"N-no, G-georgie wore galoshes," Bill says. Richie and I walk over to Bill.

"Whose sneaker is it?" Eddie asks. I glance inside the shoe.

"It's Betty Ripsom's," I state.

"Oh shit, oh God, oh fuck! I don't like this," Eddie quivers.

"How do you think Betty feels? Running around these tunnels with only one freaking shoe?" Richie says, hopping on one foot for emphasis. Everyone looks at him shocked, not knowing what to say. I just shake my head.

"What if she's still here?" Stanley asks. Instead of answering, Bill turns around and begins walking deeper in the sewers and Richie follows.

"Eddie, come on!" he yells.

"My mom will have an aneurism, okay, if she finds out that we're playing down here. I'm serious!" Eddie replies. We stop and look at him.

"I-if I was Betty Ripsom, I would want us to find her. G-g-georgie too." Bill says solemnly.

"What if I don't want to find them?" Eddie says. "I mean, no offense Bill, but I don't want to end up like G...I don't want to go missing either."

"He has a point," Stanley adds.

"You too?" Bill asks.

"It's summer! We're supposed to be having fun," Stanley declares. "This isn't fun. This is scary and disgusting."

SPLASH! We hear someone in the stream outside the sewer and turn around.

"Holy shit, what happened to you?!" Richie shouts.

He looks over at us and we can see he's dirty and covered in blood.

"Are you okay?" I shout, running over to help him up with the rest of them following.

"He's gonna need lots of medical supplies," Eddie states.

"Let's go to the drug store," I say.

We get on our bikes and begin biking to the drug store with Ben on Bill's bike and me on Richie's. It felt good to have my arms around him again.

As we're riding to the drug store Eddie is rambling about how dangerous AIDS are or something. "I  think it's great that we're helping the new kid, but we also need to think of our own safety. I mean, he's bleeding all over and you guys know there's an AIDS epidemic happening right now as we speak, right? And my mom's friend in New York City got it just by touching a dirty pole on the subway and enough of AIDS blood got into his system from hangnail, from hangnail! And he had to amputate his legs, his arms, but how do you amputate a wais--HOW DO YOU AMPUTATE A WAIST?!" Eddie exclaims. "You guys do know that alleys have dirty needles that have AIDS, right? You guys do know that?"