13

ANDERSON'S POV

Sydney's facial expression changed after he asked her that question. So that got him wondering: was she okay? Wasn't she hungry? Why the sudden silence?

"Sydney, are you okay?" Anderson asked and then she blinked, coming out of her trance.

"Uh, I was just... surprised." She said the same time the waiter brought them cups of latte.

"Surprised about what?"

Her eyes bore into his and then she spoke. "Isn't it a coincidence that you have the same surname as Hansen?"

Anderson pressed his lips into a straight line. He mentally cursed himself for being so careless, but it would have come out anyway. Therefore, this was better, but how does he escape her suspicious eyes.

"Uh... yes, we have the same surname. That's what makes us even close as friends." He replied and she looked convinced. Quickly, he changed the topic.

"So, latte?"

Sydney did not speak while they had breakfast, but he could sense that the thought was in her mind.

Anderson took a quick glance at his watch and saw the time. It was fifteen minutes past nine. A smile formed on his lips as he looked over at the door. He was waiting for someone and speaking of the devil, she just walked in.

Mary, together with her friends entered the restaurant with chatters. They usually came here every Friday to eat and gossip. Today, Anderson wanted to give them something to gossip about. Mary would have a fit about it, but he did not give a damn if she did.

Thankfully, one of Mary's friends noticed him and pointed. Turning, to the group, she said something and then they all glanced towards their table. He saw a frown quickly found its way onto his mother's face as the others presumably questioned her about the young woman he was eating with.

"Oh my God, it's your mother!" Sydney's gasp brought his attention back to her and he saw her wide eyes. "She is looking over here!" She quickly pulled at her headband and let her hair fall over her face.

"What are you doing?" He questioned, while folding his arms. She refused to raise her head.

"I don't want her to see me." She replied, while trying desperately to hide her face.

Anderson leaned over the table, put his finger under her chin and raised her head. "You are not to hide away from her. She is my mother and you will soon be a part of the family." Sydney looked like a scared kitten.

He did not blame her for being scared of Mary. That woman was the devil himself. He was very sure that she would oppose this marriage and try to scare Sydney away from it. However, he was not going to let that happen. He would drive Mary crazy by marrying someone who was not super rich or of high class. This was his plan of revenge.

"Sydney," he left her chin and her head hang low. "If you are not comfortable, then we can leave." He said and she nodded without hesitation.

Anderson rose from the chair and she left hers quickly. He went to take her hand in his and then intertwined their fingers. He saw the look Sydney gave him when he did that. "It's my mother and her friends. We have to make it look real." He told her.

"Oh, right." She mumbled.

Glancing towards the table of Mary and her friends, he noticed them staring and whispering among themselves. One particular person among them was burning with fury and he could not have been happier. Time to turn things up, he thought and then ran his fingers through Sydney's hair.