5.

HANSEN’S POV

 “Hansen where is your brother?”

  It was after Mary asked that he realised Anderson was gone. He wasn’t at his chair, or at the drinks stand or at the back. Hansen wondered where he could have gone and rose to his feet. He was about to go look for him when Mary stopped him.

    “No, stay. I don’t want both of you gone.” She said and then her brows arched in annoyance. “He always does this.” She sighed.

 Hansen took her hand and she smiled. “Don’t worry about anything Mary. Everything will go as planned.” She nodded and then he continued to hold her hand.

  Where are you Anderson? Hansen thought and glanced at Mary.

 The poor woman was already worried about making sure everything goes as she planned and now, her stubborn son has just added to her worries. Why can’t he just do anything his mother says? Anderson was very rebellious. He has always been disrespectful to his mother since childhood. Sometimes, Hansen wished Mary were his mother too. She was such a kind woman.

     The ceremony continued and Hansen glanced towards table six. He was hoping she changed her mind and came, but it looked like she didn’t. He had never felt so frustrated and upset with his brother.

    Anderson’s decision not to pick Sydney as his fiancé, not only shattered him, but her too. She looked disappointed when he told her the news. She was ready to take her things and return to her town, but he tried convincing her to stay.

   “No, you can’t go.” He said.

   “Why not?” She was upset.

  “Give me time to talk to him. I am sure he will change his mind.” He tried desperately to make her understand.

  “No!” She yelled.

  “Okay, come with me to the party and meet him. I am sure he might change his mind if he sees you.”

  “No, am going nowhere.”

  He gave up. “Fine I won’t insist. But I will leave this invitation here for you, just in case you change your mind okay? Look Sydney I want to help you. I really do, but if you don’t give me, the chance I won’t be able to. So please, re-consider your decision. After tomorrow if you still don’t change your mind, then you can go.”

  Hansen sighed and glanced round the hall. Still, there was no sign of her. She really didn’t change her mind. What a pity!

 “Hansen my dear, have you seen your brother?” Mary asked him again.

  “I will go look for him.” Hansen rose to his feet and then moved from their table. He went round the hall and saw no sign of him. Then he headed outside.

  The night was cool and the compound was empty. Everyone was inside, enjoying the party. Hansen decided to call him instead of going round. After dialling Anderson’s number, he put the phone close to his ear.

  Two rings later, he answered. “Hansen is there any problem?”

  “Yes, the problem is with you.” Hansen snapped. “Where are you? Your mother is so worried sick about you. Where did you run off too?”

  “I went home.” He replied and then Hansen looked shocked.

  “Home!” He exclaimed. “What are you doing at home, when the party is here?”