12.

HANSEN’S POV

 “You are getting married!” He was bursting with happiness, but had to pretend to be surprised so she would not get suspicious. It was night-time and Hansen had just returned home from work to find an anxious Sydney waiting for him.

  “Yes.” Sydney replied while rubbing her hands together nervously. Her head was low and she tapped her feet. “Is it a bad idea?” She glanced at him.

 Hansen saw the worry and uncertainty on her face and knew he had to clear them before she changed her mind. “No… no it isn’t. It’s a good idea.” He said.

 Sydney pulled at her hair and threw her head backwards on the couch. “It’s Anderson, that’s why I’m asking you.”

  Hansen smiled. He was already aware of it. His brother had informed him earlier on. Yet still, he had to act surprised.

  “My friend, Anderson?” He gasped.

 “It was a bad idea right? I knew it! I’ll tell him I can’t do it.” Sydney bolted out of the couch and rushed to the telephone.

  “No, Sydney!” Hansen quickly moved to take the phone away from her. “What are you doing?” He asked. With his hands on her shoulders, he guided her back to the couch and then sat next to her.

  “Sydney, you just told me that you will be marrying my friend. This is the best news I’ve heard all day. You are making the right choice here. Anderson is a very good man. You know it because he saved you. I approve of your relationship!”

  “No, it’s not going to be anything serious. We will be acting. He only came to me because his father is very ill and he wants to fulfil his dying wish.”

 “Oh.” Hansen said. How he wished those two would actually date. They looked so good together and would make such a great couple.

 “I was so sure of it before but now, I think am making a mistake.” She rose to her feet and paced round, with hands on her hips. “I mean, I did not even ask any questions. Like, what his girlfriend would think about this.” Then it hit her.

  “Oh my God! What if he has a girlfriend? What if …”

  “Sydney, Sydney.” Hansen caught up with her. “You don’t have to worry about anything. Anderson doesn’t have a girlfriend.”

  “Oh.” She said, while feeling a little relieved.

  “And you do not have to worry about any exes either, because he has none.” She was a little surprised at that revelation, but did not see it as an issue because she did not have any exes too.

  “Sydney, you must take it. You just think about it. This would be very good for your reputation. Anderson is quiet popular and when word gets out that you two are getting married the media would want to know whom this woman is. Everyone will talk about you and you’ll get the exposure you need.”

   Sydney continued to pace around, rubbing her temples and groaning. “Yes, yes, I need this. I have no choice. I must do it.” She stopped and glanced at him. “Thank you.”

 With those words, she grabbed her bag and bolted up the staircase.

SYDNEY’S POV

 The door closed behind her and she lurched on the bed. Pulling a pillow under her arm, she bit it with her teeth to supress the scream that tore out of her throat.

  “Oh my God, I’m getting married!” She said, unable to believe it.

 Sydney couldn’t control herself. She was nervous, worried, excited and most importantly, confused. This was all too sudden. This morning, she was going for an audition and by the end of the day, she was getting married_ to a stranger! That was the freaky part.