Chapter 14

Time was moving slowly, excruciatingly slowly. I kept looking around expecting someone else to have noticed but no one even batted an eyelash at this strange phenomena. It had been like this for the past three days, since Boxing day to be specific. I clicked new game on my computer screen and the cards flashed in front of me as Solitaire was set up. I had lots of work to do, of course I did, New Year’s eve had snuck up on me and was in actuality tomorrow and I had a job on the night itself and also one on New Year’s day, yet I had no motivation to organise anything, not like me at all. In fact I didn’t have the motivation to do much except play Solitaire, I had already skipped lunch in favour of the card game, earning my strange looks and gossiping escorts.

Glancing past my computer screen I make out a number of empty desks dispersed around the spacious, modernly decorated office space. It must still be lunch. I use the quiet time to really relax and to give myself a break from acting normal. Resting my elbows on my desk I bury my head in my hands, it isn’t hard to figure out why I feel this crap and trying not to think about it, to think about her, is a lot harder than I thought it would be. Keeping my eyes clenched shut I breathe in through my nose and out through my mouth and barely even flinch when my mobile begins to ring, I don’t move, letting it go to voicemail, if it is important they will leave a message. Besides technically I am on my lunch break. The phone finally goes quiet besides me and the office falls into a state of silence; only my breathing and the motor on the water cooler making any noise to disturb the scene. It only lasts a couple of minutes before the office phone on my desk begins to ring. Grumbling I reach over to pick up the receiver and in an act of defiance I put it straight back down hanging up on whoever was on the other end of line. Instantly it begins to ring again.

“Aren’t you gonna get that Danny?” Will calls from the doorway. I don’t reply, maybe he’ll go away. “Danny?” Maybe not.

“Nah, I still have…” I look at my computer screen. “3 minutes left of my lunch break, they can leave or message or call me back then.”

“Meow, someone’s in a bad mood.”

“What of it?” I growl.

“Calm down dear, I am not going to take you on or question your actions.” He comes across to my desk, after first visiting his own and dragging his wheelie chair with him, sitting across from me Will’s fiery red hair shines in the overhead office lighting and his dark brown eyes bury unblinkingly into my own. “What’s wrong Danny.” His tone is filled with nothing other than sincerity and worry but I don’t know what to say to him.

“I’m fine mate.”

“Are you sure dude, because you seem the total opposite.”

“Yeah Will, It has just been a tough couple of days, I’ll be back to normal after New Year’s.” He nods in understanding.

“We have a busy one this year.” Coming up with his own excuses for my behaviour. “Well if you’re sure?” He stands but still looks down at me with fatherly concern, an expression that looks extremely odd on Will’s young face.

“Yeah, I’m fine. Now go get some work done lunch is over.” I say swatting him away.

“Careful Danny you’re starting to sound like the boss.” He jokes back, but that only makes me start to think of what Ant had said on Christmas Day. He had told me he wanted me to run the business, obviously he was giving me time to think about it but I had shoved it to the back of mind and hadn’t given it any thought until now. I sigh and rub my hands across my face, another thing to worry about.

The rest of the guys begin to steadily return to their desks and even Ant makes an appearance before he hurries back out the office on his way to do… well whatever he does, giving me a nod and a smile as he goes. A thought briefly flickers to life in my head that one day that could be me, the guy running the place, not having to account for my actions or my whereabouts.