Chapter 11

As I push open the door the pub in the middle of Manchester the heat envelopes me and pushes away the chill of the late December evening, whilst the smell of mulled wine and beer mingles in the air and goes straight to my head. The sound of Christmas songs play quietly from speakers above my head and excited chatter fills the room. Pulling the scarf off from around my next I sweep the room spotting my clan at the back occupying a long table already filled with empty pint glasses. They look just like any normal office party, the only difference being there are no women and they all look like they have stepped out of a magazine ad. I’m not sure whether it is the sheer number of them, the way they look or the noise they are making but there are a couple of women sat in a booth across the room who whisper and giggle openly staring at the guys and I smile, even when they aren’t making any effort females are drawn to that lot. The pub is small but well decorated, there is an open fire roaring, low wooden beams and candles everywhere, the furniture is comfortable and a mixture between plush chairs and sofas and the art on the walls is complex and abstract not just pictures of horses jumping over fences or whatever pubs usually display,

“Hey guys.” I call as I get closer to the raucous scene, all eyes are on me before the guys rush forward and I’m surrounded.

“Oh Danny boy…” They burst into song and the smell of alcohol fills my nose but I laugh and wait for them to finish.

“Hey guys.” They surround me in a big drunken group hug and when they finally release me I look around at the smiling faces that surround me.

“Where you been boy?” Jezza (after Jeremy Kyle the t.v. show host), real name Jeremey, shouts at me from an arm’s length away.

“On holiday idiot.” Will replies smacking him lightly over the back of the head, I can tell he is drunk as his freckled face has a red tinge to it. “We all know that.”

“Yeah but where has he been?” Zander chips in putting emphasis on the where, and all eyes are on me again.

“Nowhere.” I shrug “Right here in Manchester, I just needed a break.” They scoff at me.

“Couldn’t take the holiday pressure?” Patrick taunts.

“Must be hard to be the most requested guy in the business.” Harry says punching my arm lightly,

“We need to get Danny a girl… he needs a night of fun.” Ush declares to the group and basically the entire room. The group of girls giggle and then go bright red as all the guys turn to look at them. “Hello ladies any of you fancy my friend Danny?” Ush says walking over to the group followed by a few of the others, rolling my eyes and ignoring them I push through to face Ant, who is sat at the table with his feet propped up on another chair looking totally relaxed, but just as Will said he looks older then he did when I left, it isn’t an obvious change in him, he hasn’t suddenly aged like ten years but he is greyer and looks worn.

“Hey Ant, how are you?” I say keeping the concern out of my voice, but knowing that I will return to this question later.

“Doing good Danny, long time no speak.” His eyes are warm but serious and succeed in making me instantly guilty, which must show in my face as he turns away from me and calls towards the bar. “Another round over here, and start adding one more drink too that.” I look at the guys around me who are like my family, and I notice that a few faces are missing, Gabriele being one of them. However there are fifteen of us here and that’s more than enough for a party.

Pulling up a chair next to Ant I grab my drink but before I take a swig he gets to his feet and quietens down the guys, you can tell how much respect we all have for our ‘leader’ as the group sobers instantly, the guys talking to the girls return and they all turn to face him intently like he might just give away the secret to the meaning of life or something. “I just want to say a few words now that everyone who can be here is here. It’s been a good year, you guys should all be proud of the work you have done; I know I am. The business has never been as strong as it is now, and it is all down to the effort and dedication you lot put into each individual job, it is very rare that we have an unsatisfied customer.” It wasn’t a dig at me or anything but I still feel guilty knowing that one of those rare customers was one of mine. “There are going to be a few changes next year, which we will discuss after the holidays, but I know that what is to come you can handle and that we will only get stronger from this. So with that said let lad’s night begin” his smile turns cheeky and takes years of his face “and let’s get drunk.” There is a moment of silence as we take his speech in and then the guys let out a thunderous cheer, that has the whole bar looking in our direction, and begin to drink.