I hate labels

Ellery's POV:

I hate life.

Yes, I sound like almost every other teenager out there. Moaning about how their parents won't let them get a piercing, or dye their hair. But I have both my nose and lip pierced, and my hair is purple. I just don't have parents. I wouldn't go as far as saying I envy those with them, just... I wish, when I had parents, they'd shown me they'd loved me, or any other 'caring' emotion that most children derive from their family. But I guess because I'm different - and not my sister - I didn't get that.

I have an older sister. She's pretty, clever and self-assured. She's also my legal guardian. Ever since our parents were killed in a car crash, Olivia 'looked after' me. If you count leaving me for months on end, 'looking after'. I don't care though, because her job takes her around the world on business- hence me being home alone. And the job pays so well that she can leave a decent amount of money that me (and a few elephants) can survive on. Unfortunately, it's these living arrangements that are forcing us to move house. Even worse, I have to start a new school. My old school wasn't exactly fun... but it wasn't bad. I was an emo; avoided at all costs. But I got used to being a loner, sitting at the back of class, lounging behind the old oak tree at lunch. No one bothered me- I was happy.

Now, that was changing because my sister didn't want to live in our family home anymore- says it 'holds too many memories'. Thanks Olivia. You're barely there anyway!

So here I am. Watching the delivery guys move our stuff into our new home. Olivia is stood next to me, in all her blond glory. Me and my sister are as opposite as you can get. She's tall, blond, and has blue eyes. I'm short, with purple hair, and green eyes. And that's just the physical differences! Olivia could easily be president- she's charismatic, charming and funny. While I could be compared to... A vampire. I'm usually quiet, bitter, and shy. I'm generally stuck on the negative side of the emotional scale. But when I'm happy, I feel like I can touch the sky! (Please, take note of the sarcasm) Now, not so much.

"You know you can go in. I'm just stayin' out here to make sure these guys don't break anything, but you go ahead and check out your new home, Elle!"

I just nod, shrug and wander towards the front door. It's a nice house, better than our last one- I can thank Olivia's paycheck for that.

The glossy black door is already swung open to reveal a hall. The walls are cream, and the floor a light brown wood. There is a staircase to the right of the room and a corridor heading down the left. I head upstairs and count the rooms. Seven, and I already know which one will be my room. It's the room at the end of the hall. It has an en suite bathroom, and is big enough to fit my instruments.

I go to look out the window. It has a view of the street out front, and I can see Olivia bossing around some guys who almost dropped our dining room table. I smile at their faces, as they all look terrified. The other men around are laughing, but stop when Olivia turns and snaps at them. I smile again and look across the street to the house across the road.

As I expected, this is a nice neighbourhood. The house opposite ours- number 13 to our 14, is well-kept and tidy. Yet, it has an almost artsy look to it. The front door and windowpanes are painted a bright, sunny blue and there are lots of flowers in the garden. I spy some movement through the window facing mine and see a flash of black, then white before it's gone. Hmm. Just as I was thinking, the door opened and three people stepped out the door and into the sunlight. The blond woman, whom I'm guessing is the mom, marches over to Olivia and starts talking. However, my attention is on the two boys stood with her.

They look around my age, and they both seem pretty awkward from their postures. One of them is tall and gangly, with mouse brown hair and glasses. The other, slightly smaller yet less skinny, has long messy black hair and is looking at the ground like the sun is burning him. I can relate to that. Sunlight's overrated, who needs it when you can be a vampire?

I stroll back out the front door. Maybe it'd be good if I made some friends, you know? Spoke to someone? I can see them even closer now. Definitely brothers. They both have the same strong jaw, cheekbones and hazel eyes.

"Elle! These are our new neighbours, the Way's!"

The blond lady steps forward and pulls me into a hug. I'm too stunned to say anything at first, and the two boys smile at my reaction.

"Hello Ellery. I'm Donna, and these two are Mikey and Gerard. It's so nice to have someone their age around here. Now there's no reason why they shouldn't get out more!"

Olivia's face lights up. "Yes! Elle barely ever left her room back home. Now she can do something more productive than mope around her room, playing instruments!"

I step toward Mikey and Gerard in an attempt too stop them listening to how anti-social I am. It works.

"Er, hi. I'm Ellery Jackson, Elle for short."

The gangly boy with glasses steps forward and shakes my hand, smiling. He's so tall, I have to look up to see his face!

"Good day. I'm Mikey, Moikoi, Mikeyway etc. I'm 15 and a freshman at Belleville High School. I'm a nerd/punk, and... I like Star Wars and Batman."

The other boy - Gerard - then steps around Mikey and pulls me into a hug. Hmm, cuddly.

"Hey. I'm Gerard. I'm 18 and a senior at Hell too. I love singing, comics, horror movies and rock music. I'm a self-proclaimed 'vampire' and supposed punk/goth. I don't know, that's what people say. But I hate labels."

I grin at both of them. They're both giving me expectant looks.

"Oh, erm. Howdy, I'm Elle- but you knew that already. I'm 17 and soon-to-be Junior at Belleville High. I'm a supposed emo/punk/goth/nerd/loner/weirdo. Oh, and I love playing my instruments, listening to music and writing. I also like all the stuff you guys are into, but I don't wanna seem like a copy-cat."

They both smile at me and I feel really happy to have made some friends.

Just as Mikey opens his mouth to say something Donna interrupts.

"So because you're still moving in and all, would you like to come and stay with us for dinner? Donald, my husband will be back from work then as well."

Gerard looks at me and nods enthusiastically.

"Yes please! We'd love too!"

Olivia's giving me this look that says, 'Who are you and what have you done with Ellery Jackson?' I guess the two teenage boys - one who is actually really good looking (A/N- guess who???) - are giving me the confidence I've missed out on these past years.

But before Olivia can respond, Donna's starting to walk away mumbling to herself.

Mikey turns to me and says, "Come round about seven. Unless you wanna come round earlier and hang...?"

I glance at my sister.

"Could I please come now?"

He dips his head and him and Gerard take an arm each.

"Liv, I'm gonna go now. See ya at seven!"

She smiles and waves.

I think life just got a bit more exciting.