chapter eighteen: a new man

18 | a new man

YORK's POV

I was on my way to Isla's and I was nervous. My palms were sweaty and I was honestly having short breaths of air. This was the first time I saw her since that hospital talk we had.

I rang the doorbell and the door opened widely.

 Oh, gosh. Here we go.

"Hey! York, you made it! Come on in," a booming voice suddenly said.

My eyes met the brown ones of George, Isla's dad. His usual slicked back hair was kind of messy.

"Are you okay? What happened to Isla?" I asked.

"She just wants to see you," he said, proceeding to her room.

The stairs going up were only about eighteen steps but they seemed like an eternity to me. I huffed and puffed my way through, not knowing what to actually do. As soon as George opened the door, it creaked and it gave me chills.

"York?" Isla's voice squeaked out.

She looked a lot better than I thought. Her fiery hair seemed to gain back it's flare and her eyes gained back that sparkle back then. She smiled sweetly at me and asked me to sit beside her. But before sitting, my eyes noticed a guy who was already present. 

He was blonde.

He had that great smile.

But it wasn't Niall.

WHOA. WAIT.

"Marc?" I blurted out. "You know Isla?" I added.

Isla laughed and Marc soon followed.

"Hi, boss. I'm actually her boyfriend. I'm... well," he trailed off.

"I asked him to look out for you during work since I couldn't do it yet. He's been a family friend, you know," she blushed, not meeting my eyes.

I managed to heave a sigh, though I didn't know if it was because of relief or stress.

"Isla, I realized something today... I truly am in love with Niall... and I'm breaking up with Liam... or I think he's breaking up with me... or something. I'm sorry that I didn't realize it back then," I said.

Her eyebrows rose up and then she smirked.

"I told you," she said in reply, smiling.

-------------------------------------

NIALL's POV

I was quite worried about York. I wondered how her talk with Isla went. I kept facing back and forth, looking at the window. Suddenly, I heard a knock at the door.

Ah! That must be her.

The moment I opened it, I was surprised to see Harry standing there.

"Y-you?" I said.

"Me? Well yeah. Nice way to greet your mate!" He laughed, coming in.

"How do you even know about this?" I said, sitting across him.

"Ah well... tracker," He smiled as he held up his phone and gave it a shake.

I quickly threw a pillow at him and it hit his face. 

BULL'S EYE!

"Seriously?" I said. He merely rolled his eyes and we both chuckled.

"What brings you here then, Harry?"

"Eh, nothing. I just thought I'd let you know that Isla's totally over you. She has some new lad," he said bluntly.

I was so surprised that my knees gave way, causing me to collide with the floor.

"Y-you're serious?"

"Oh mate, The Management is the all-seeing one right here," he smirked, throwing the pillow back at me.

"Guess that's a relief. No more bestfriend drama... or a love-triangle, huh? Hmm, for some reason, I am not happy with this. I think I wanted more drama between you three," he added.

I quickly got up and started pushing him towards the door. He started hugging my arm and was all melodramatic.

"Niialll, no. Don't throw me out!"

I rolled my eyes in reply and as soon as I saw York's shocked reaction, I knew that everything was alright. Harry straightened himself and shrugged.

"Hi sis," he said as he gave her a wink and walked away. York rolled her eyes and smiled.

"It's okay, we're okay," she said breathlessly, as I planted a kiss on her forehead.