chapter twelve: emotions

12 | emotions

YORK’s POV

I managed to get away from the hospital. I didn’t know where I was… and frankly, I didn’t care. All I wanted was some time to myself. I needed to think about what was going to happen.

“Let me be, just this once,” I prayed.

Liam was calling my cell but I didn't want to talk right now so I put it off.

I was walking on an unfamiliar street with many people. It was a busy area and I honestly felt the enthusiasm and warmth of these people. There were a hundred colorful, triangular banners suspended and I looked around and saw that it was a shopping district, well, the types where you got bargains. There were around a hundred stalls that sold jackets, boots, jeans, and even house ornaments.

Suddenly, I was fascinated with these things. Why haven’t I been here before?

“Miss, you should buy this!” an elder woman told me.

‘These bags are cheap! Come on and buy!” another voice said.

My trip to this shopping district, which I have come to known as The Block, was cut short when I saw a familiar car parked at the end of the street. People stared at the car once in a while but then merely walked away. I, on the other hand, walked towards it. Hmm… I think this was…

“Niall?” I asked, knocking on the car’s window. It was heavily tinted and I was really curious as to who was driving the car. As soon he put the window down, Niall ushered me to get in the car.

As soon as I got in, I saw that his face was tired… weary… and his knuckles were red? Red?! Oh my gosh, what happened to him? My eyebrows furrowed.

“What happened to these?” I said, holding up his knuckles towards me. I felt an electric jolt but I managed to “not think” of it this time.

He pulled his hand away, gently and ran it through his blonde hair. He sighed and looked at me as he shook his head.

“How did you find me? I mean, did Louis ask you to come get me? I thought I just lost him a while ago,” he said, frustration and worry in his voice.

“N-no. I ran away from the hospital as well,” I said.

He sat upright and turned off the radio that was playing. He pushed a button and suddenly, the cover on top of the car moved backward. For a while, mechanical sounds filled the air between us. The wind met my face and I could hear the all too familiar sounds of awe around us. He put on his shades and gave me a small smile… but it was a sad one.

THUMP

THUMP THUMP

What the heck? My heart. It was doing funny stuff again. Isla was in the freaking hospital because of your half-sister. PULL YOURSELF TOGETHER, YORK! I zoned out a bit but as soon as I came back from my thoughts, I heard the people talking.

“It’s a convertible!”

“Oh my, that is such an awesome car!”

“That lad looks a bit familiar.”

“Bloody kids, comin’ ere to show off,” another said.

“It’s Niall! Oh my gaawwwddd!”

“One directiioooonnnnnn!”

Niall quickly honked his horn and everyone moved out of the way. In a matter of minutes, we were out of The Block. He signaled to the right and we were off. Where were we going anyway?