five

trigger warning: this chapter does include some mild graphic scenes and references to domestic violence, and does feature mental breakdowns and panic attacks. if any of these things bother you and you are unable to read this chapter, please message me and i will catch you up to speed on everything!

also, flashbacks in this chapter will be written in italics!

continuous

omniscient

airi and malachi sit on his couch, the news still weighing heavy on them both.

they've been in silence for about thirty minutes, the only noise being airi's sniffs. she had finally stopped crying, but she felt too weak to attempt to do anything.

she didn't know if she wanted malachi's feedback, and she definitely wasn't ready for it. for the first time in what felt like forever, she checked her phone. it was only 7am, she knew no one in the house would be up yet, but that didn't change the pain she felt at her lack of notifications.

"i'm guessing you already know this," malachi started, "but you not going back to that house without me for a while, and you ain't sleeping there. same as last time."

airi nodded in response, tossing her phone on the coffee table.

"i don't want you to bring it up to anyone yet. or act funny. i just want it to die." airi said.

this time it was malachi that nodded, but they both knew that his agreement was only for a limited time.

malachi's mind constantly went back and forth. he didn't know if he should speak his words now or if he should wait until the situation wasn't so raw.

fuck tray, malachi's concern was with airi. with what tray said, he reopened airi's wounds about the corey situation. malachi knew that she was consciously dealing with both, constantly thinking about both, and that wasn't good for anyone.

"what happened, in both of those situations, wasn't your fault. i need to you to know that. you didn't cause any of it." malachi said.

"i know, kinda. sometimes i feel like it is though. like because of how the c thing started."

malachi nodded, a sudden realization on his mind. he looked towards airi slowly, watching her play with her fingers.

"they don't know, do they?"

airi sighed, shaking her head.

"i tried to tell them, but they didn't listen. if i was to say something now they'd all hate me."

malachi shifted in his seat.

"and what makes you think that?" he asked.

airi pulled her knees to her chest, trying to figure out the best way to tell malachi the truth.

"the vibes in the house are weird. everyone says that they're there for me and they all try to help my panic attacks but i can feel the distance. it's like, they don't believe me or something."

the room fell silent once again as malachi took in everything she was saying.

malachi's next question would open up an old wound, and he was sure of it, but his mind just wouldn't let it go.