Chapter II - Demons

Madeline – Demons

A rain storm had arrived. The weather reminded me of Virginia, but I was here now. So, I just had to adjust. I really was trying to get a fresh start today. It was my first day at a new school. That would mean new friends, new teachers, new enemies, new classes, and a lot of catching up to do. The thing was I wasn't excited as I thought I'd be. I sat in Adam's car thinking about Skylar and her father. It's been a couple days since the incident, but no follow up. I just sat there staring out the window. I watched as the water dripped from the windshield. Could this town get any weirder?

"Listen, I'm sorry I lashed out at you the other day" I spoke to Adam as he drove. 

Adam turned slightly then looked back to the road. 

"Its fine, I understand"

"Madi. look it's an adjustment for all of us. Mom, Dad, me, you we're all trying to fit in here. Adjusting to our new lives in the end we're only here for each other"

"Yeah, I guess so" I exhaled a sigh. He was right.

"You still don't want to talk about what happened the other day?"

"I would, but honestly I have no idea what I saw. The man had piles of dirt in his backyard like a graveyard, and a girl locked in his basement. Then he tells me she was the cause of the graves in the back. She killed all those people"

"Freaky" Adam turned down a street.

 "Uh definitely, the thing was I didn't believe him, but the more I think about it. The more it settles in me as to if it is true"

"Should we call the police maybe?" Adam had always stressed a concern for safety. Despite his reckless ways.

 "No, I think we should keep this between us. No mom, dad or anyone else involved" Even if I did talk to the police. I still broke into a house.

 "Probably for the best"

"Funny thing is he said she lured people in. That she would pretend, deceive, then kill people. He said as long as I didn't speak about it he wouldn't bother. All he said was to be careful"

I traced a circle around the foggy window.

"Well then you probably should Madi" 

I just nodded as we passed over a bridge and then came to a complete stop on the other side. There was traffic that backed up like the world had come to an end. Police sirens were going off. Under the rain the colors of fierce red, and cold blue illuminated the cars in front of us and the sidewalks below.

"Oh for Christ sake, what the hell is going on now" I rolled down the window so I could stick my head out. 

I saw a complete street blocked off with barricades. There were ambulance , paramedics, and police officers.

"Listen I'll be right back I'm going to take a look" I opened the car door and walked out into the rain. 

"Madi stay in the car seriously! Mom will kill me if I don't get you to school on time!" He was leaning over the arm rest. 

"The traffic isn't moving anyway. I'm just going to take a look. If it's blocked all the way up to the school then I'll just ask for directions and walk. It'll be faster"

"Madi no! Stay in the car!" 

"I'll text you!" I started to run off and I could hear my brother calling out to me yelling for me to come back. He said something about that I couldn't walk in the rain. I couldn't help it. Honestly, I wanted any reason to get away from my brother and that conversation, and this was that chance.