Chapter XIX - Ancestry

Madeline – Ancestry

The trees casted darkness that would camouflage every light that shed onto the human skin. The trees walked around like giants that had been frozen. Branches filled the ground like ancient roman pillars. Moss and dew canvased the trees like a sour green plague. Yet a little river ran through the wooden giant's kingdom. Within those waters ran small fishes freely flowing with the current. In the clearest water eyes could ever be witnessed to.

"Come on Madi, we should keep moving" I stepped away from the little river.

Amir had picked me up from my house late that afternoon. I managed to sleep in to my heart's content. My parents being the worrisome couple they are. Came in several times throughout the day to check up on me, but I passed it on as if I was in a deep coma. It's what I did every time when I didn't even want to bother with the world outside the walls of my room.

We were now deep within the forest of the grove. It was different this time. Last time I was here it was a fun visit to the outdoorsy world. Now it seemed dark and almost haunting. For within these trees and endless greens. Thousands of people have gone missing labeled into two categories. They were either missing or something had attacked them. More so a beast or animal of some sort, but what really daunted me was the elder trees. The kinds that had a thick base and branches that you could build a house out of. Those kinds of trees knew every secret of this grove and land since they were a seed.

The amount of blood and souls that laid within the secrets of the grove were numerous. I'd say if you wanted a valid witness all you'd have to do is morph the tree into a human or a talking tree, but that was impossible. At least till someone came around with that kind of magic. I suppose my mind was digging into my fantasies, but if it keep my head away from the real danger of this forest. That was the perfect medicine for me.

(Ancestry – Part II)

Amir led the way as I followed from behind. I admired every aspect of nature. It was hard to find beauty in the smallest things. The thing was as soon as you left town and entered the land of the wooden giants. It was a true breath of air.

I didn't know what lied ahead of us or where we were going. Honestly all my faith and trust was within Amir. For all I know he could lead me right into a trap, but he was worried himself. I trusted that the natives he was bringing us too would have answers.

"So these friends of yours. How do you know them?" I called from behind as I walked along a log that laid on the ground.

"They are part of my family" Amir climbed up a small rock that brought us to a higher level of the ground

"So you're related to them?"

"Not by blood, but we are connected by ancestors. Remember that native of these lands were here long before anybody else" Amir helped me up as I climbed up the small cliff.

"Maybe I should've asked these questions before we came here, but you're acting like they don't know we're coming. I can tell by the look on your face. It's the same one I have when I come home after curfew" Amir kept walking through another maze of woods.

"That's because they don't. I haven't been in these parts since I was a child. So it's more like a bad family reunion, and if there's one thing I hate more than teenagers like you. It's the past" Amir turned around and I didn't quite approve of his joke, but I knew he was only kidding.

"Well this teenager is almost and adult so you should give him credit for all he has done so far" I crossed my hands as I walked past him as if I knew where we were going.