Chapter 2

[Luke]

 I am so scared. I am so, so scared- every single damn day. Nothing ever changes. I know that it's coming and nothing scares me more than that. It lives over my head like a thousand pound weight. How can anyone live without fear when their death is hanging just above their head? I don't want to die. I have things to do. And my family would miss me, even though no one else would. "Luke!" 

 "Shit!" I yelped, knocking my lamp off of my nightstand with the start. 

 "Luke, what the hell?" my mom asked, after opening the door and barging in. "What happened?" 

 "I don't know. Maybe you scared the living shit out of me." 

 "Watch your mouth or so help me. I'll put soap in your mouth. It's time for dinner, honey." 

 "I'll be down in a minute." I said, throwing myself back down on the bed. She looked at me sympathetically. I stared at the ceiling and prayed that something would change. I begged for forgiveness on a constant. I could only hope that the punishment would miss me. I couldn't die like this. I didn't deserve this. But I did. I did for what I did wrong. I need to get out of here. I opened the window again and slid out, shutting it softly behind me. 

[Layla] 

 "Hey, it's you!" I said, but he didn't hear that part. Which, in a way, is comforting, because it probably would have sounded really annoying. But then again, I was, so it wouldn't have made much of a difference. It was the boy who had blatantly ignored me a few days ago. His hands were shaking like leaves and he was paler than anyone I had ever seen. "Are you okay? What's wrong?" I asked, jogging lightly to catch up with him. His legs were much longer than my own. He continued to ignore me. "Are you serious right now? How could you ignore me when I am right here and talking to you? I get it when you're just passing by, but I am right next to you with every intent to talk to only you. Are you really going to keep ignoring me?" I asked, frustrated. People ignore me all the time, but I had never seen anyone do it so blatantly before. 

 "What do you want?" he asked, looking in both directions, almost as if to make sure it were safe before he looked at me. 

 "I just told you what I wanted, What's wrong? You're shaking so badly." I noted. He didn't answer. Instead, he kept walking, but he was walking slowly enough that I could keep up with him now. "Aren't you going to tell me?" I said again. Damn. i knew that I was being so extremely annoying, but I just wanted to help. He let out a lengthy sigh. 

 "I'm scared." he said, slowly. 

 "Why?" I asked, taking his hand in both of mine. It was really cold. 

 "I'm not going to tell you that. Do you understand?" he asked. I nodded. I didn't want to push harder than I already was. I knew that I was being rude. "You wouldn't understand. It's some big thing." he said. 

 "Thank you for implying that I don't understand big things." I fired back, elbowing him lightly. 

 "I didn't say that. I said that it's a particular big thing that you wouldn't understand. Not that you don't understand big things." 

 "Are you always so stubborn?" 

 "Are you always so annoying and pushy?" he shot. 

 "Ouch." i said, kicking a pebble that was on the ground. He grimaced at me. 

[Luke]

 I felt bad. Of course I felt bad. I wanted to say that I didn't mean it but I couldn't take that sort of chance. One good deed and I'm a goner. I did want to tell her. I've never told anyone before. No one's ever bothered to ask, which is good. It makes it easier on me, that's for sure. As much as I appreciated her, I wish that she'd go away. It's so tempting to let it all out. But I can't. If I let it out, I'll get attached and if I get attached, I might start acting differently. And that's not safe. "Sorry for bothering you." she said, continuing to stare at the ground. I saw that she was about to walk straight into a bench but I couldn't say anything. It was a good deed. It might not be THE good deed, but I couldn't risk it. I decided to not mention it but looked the other way. I heard her hit it and cringe. It sounded like it hurt. "Damn it!" she yelped, rubbing her thigh. "Thanks for telling me to look out, asshole." she grimaced, looking back at me. Her face was bright red and she looked like she was about to cry. Again, I felt horrible.