Chapter 6

[Luke]

 I turned onto the interstate, headed north but to no particular destination. I just had to be far away. Just in case. Turning my music up, I glanced in the rear view mirror, seeing that there was no one behind me. I pulled my phone out of my pocket and checked Layla's texts again. It's been almost twenty four hours since I left and she had sent many. I can't blame her. If it were her to have run away, I'd be having a mental break down. But this was to protect her. I had to keep reminding myself that. 

From Layla: Are you still up? :/ 

From Layla: Are you up now? 

From Layla: Sorry, that sounds clingy. I just have to talk to you about something. 

From Layla: Luke, where the heLL ARE YOU 

From Layla: Your mom told me you ran away. Where are you? I'll come get you. 

From Layla: If you ran away because you changed your mind about dating me, you don't have to anymore. I'm so scared. Just come home. Please. xx 

From Layla: Sorry, that was insensitive- you wouldn't run away for that. Whatever it is, we can talk about it. xx 

From Layla: Fine, you don't even have to come home right now. Just text me. Let me know you're safe. xx 

 I directed my attention towards the road again and let out another sigh. I wondered what she wanted to talk about. I wish I could. I wanted to call Matt. To see what he thought about this, but he'd probably just tell me that I was right for leaving. He just wants to keep Layla safe. Doesn't he understand that I want the same thing? If I didn't I would have never left. The worst part was that it was painfully ironic that it hadn't happened when I was reading my text messages and driving. It happened when I was doing everything right. I had my eyes on the road and two hands on the steering wheel. I never even saw it coming. The windshield smashed and I knew that my car was airborne. And it rolled when it finally hit the ground again. And it hurt like hell. But I guess that that's what I was awaiting. I could go home now. 

 "What's your name?" 

 "Uh— Luke..?" 

 "Can you feel this, Luke?" 

 "Y-yeah." I could hardly hear them over the roaring sirens. 

 "Does your head hurt?" 

 "Ye- Yes." 

 "Can you feel your legs?" 

 "No." 

 "Can you squeeze my hand for me, Luke?" 

 "N-" 

"He's going into shock. I think there's internal bleeding. Mild concussion. Hand me..." 

[Layla]

 "Where else could he be?" Matt groaned. 

 "I doubt he's anywhere in town. It was on the news. Someone would have seen him by now if he was still here." I answered over the phone. Matt and Allison were in Matt's car and I was driving just behind them but I was talking to them over the phone so we could stay in contact if something happened. 

"Then where do you think he is?" Allison asked. "

If I had any idea, I'd be there." I said, turning my turn signal on as Matt did. 

 "Hey, Lay." Matt said. 

 "Yeah?" 

 "You failed to inform me that you and Luke are dating now. For more than a week already?" he said. My eyes widened even though he couldn't see me.