Chapter 5

[Layla]

 When I sat down in class a few days later, I smiled at Matt who was sitting next to me but he didn't return it. "What' wrong with you?" I asked, giving him a half smile now. "Are you ok? Is something wrong?" 

 "No. Everything is just dandy, Layla." Matt snapped, not even looking at me. I was taken aback. 

 "Are you mad at me?" 

 "I'm not mad at you Layla, I just really don't think that you should be spending so much time with Luke." Matt said. 

 "Why do you not like him?" I asked loudly and extremely desperately. "You keep telling me that but you won't explain yourself. Maybe I'd listen if you'd just tell me why. Why can't you?"

 "I shouldn't have to explain myself, Layla! You should just trust my damn judgement! Haven't we been friends for long enough for you to believe me about this?" 

 "Matt, you're right. I should trust your judgement, and I always do, but this isn't fair to me. Explain yourself or I don't have to. It's not my obligation to trust you. He's nice to me and he came into that bathroom to make me feel better when you would never dare." I bit. Matt's eyes widened before he shot me the hardest death glare I have ever seen. He stood up, sending his chair toppling backwards and walked from the room without another word. Mrs. Parker stared at me with wide eyes, probably hoping that I could offer her and explanation but I just shrugged. 

 "Layla, are you ok?" my mom asked when I got home and threw myself down onto the couch in angst. I groaned loudly before answering. 

 "Matt's mad at me." 

 "Why?" she asked, coming to sit next to me on the couch but I hardly felt like having a heart to heart with my mom right now. 

 "He thinks that I shouldn't hang out with a guy at school but he won't even tell me why. I think it's only because they used to be friends and then they stopped talking. Matt holds some grudge or something." I said, simply. I didn't want to get into details because I didn't want her to question me like she always did. There was a knock on the door and I almost ran to it, thinking that it might be Matt coming to apologize, even though he probably thought that I should be apologizing to him. Maybe I should be. I felt pretty bad about what I said to him. But it was Luke at the door. 

"Hey." I smiled, happy to see him. "I brought take away." he grinned, holding up a bag full of food. 

"You're the best." I mumbled, leaning forward to give him a hug. "Mom, this is Luke." I grinned. 

 "Nice to meet you, Mrs. Anderson." Luke said, holding his hand out to shake my mom's. "I dig your glow in the dark stars." Luke said, pointing at my ceiling when we were in my room. 

 "Thank you." I smiled, plopping down on my bed. "There's over a hundred." Luke raised his eyebrows, clearly impressed. 

 "I'm tired." Luke groaned, flopping onto the bed. "I thought you were hungry? You brought take away." 

 "I'm both. You could feed me while I sleep." 

 "That's not how it works." I laughed, laying down beside him. He pouted and pulled me against the side of him. "Matt's mad at me." I whined, looking up at him. 

 "Why's that, princess?" 

 "He doesn't think that I should be hanging out out with you so much. I asked him why. I ask all the time but he'll never answer me. It just sounds like he holds a grudge against you for not talking to him anymore." I said. "I wouldn't feel bad about it though." I continued, realizing that my previous words had sounded rude. "He's just a big cry baby."