Chapter 1 - Running

AN: There were so many Hiccup-and-Toothless-running-away-from-Berk stories/alternate endings to the first movie that I just had to add my own version. Please tell me what you think of Hiccup & Toothless' Fate (HTF) in the comments, as they motivate me to update. But anyway, thanks for choosing my book to read! Oh, and I don't own anything (I think you know what I mean). And sorry, this story might be unedited...

- astroskypilot out -

Chapter 1

(Hiccup's POV)

My heart thumping, I stared up at Astrid, perched on the rock, axe in her hand.

I was in bigger trouble then before. First I had to kill a dragon - which I didn't want to and couldn't do, thanks to Toothless - and now Astrid has discovered the cove. Meaning she would probably discover Toothless. And in time, probably kill him. I couldn't let that happen.

"Astrid! W-what are you doing here?"

"I want answers." she growled.

Boy, she was the viking's girl when she was angry. But I had accepted I would never become a viking. I really was Hiccup the Useless.

"Um, what do you mean?"

"No one just gets as good as you have. Especially  you. Start talking. Are you training with someone? It better not involve this." She grabbed my flight suit.

"Uh, this looks really bad, but..." I trailed off, happening to glance over her shoulder.

Like a shadow, Toothless had crept up behind her, his tail poised ready to knock her out, sensing that she was a danger to me and him.

I sighed and looked at Astrid.

"I'm sorry Astrid." I close my eyes with a quick prayer to Odin that she would forgive. "Do it bud."

Astrid must of heard a small sound behind and started to turn towards Toothless. But with a quick snap, he struck Astrid on the top of her head. She fell towards me with a grunt and I quickly caught her in my arms. Lying her down, I inspected her head. The place where Toothless had hit here with his tail was bleeding and quickly swelling. I turned to Toothless who was looking at me with a sad expression.

"Thank you bud," I said. "I didn't want her to hurt you." Toothless nuzzled me. I sighed again. "Maybe one day I'll come back. But for now, you and I are going away."

I attached my basket to Toothless' saddle and climbed on. With another sad glance at Astrid, I patted my dragon's head. Taking the cue, Toothless shot up into the clouds, letting out a loud roar to let people know where Astrid was, before spinning and flying east. I turned to look around behind me, to see my island one last time.

Berk. The land of kill or be killed.

I was never going back.

xXx

(Gobber's POV)

I was hunting in the forest for my dinner when I heard the dragon roar. I didn't recognise it at that moment, but I knew I had heard it before. Pushing those thoughts aside, I left my game bag and ran towards the sound. Strange. Usually a dragon keeps making noises.

Unless they were sneaking up on someone.

Unless they were going for the kill.

I ran as fast as my one leg and peg leg could carry me, my axe-hand already attached and ready. Then suddenly a drop opened up in front of me and I skidded to a halt. I recognised it immediately. It was the cove Stoick and I had played in as kids. Sure, it was a bit different with more trees, bushes, dragon scales, scorch marks and an unconscious Astrid, but it a way it was the same.

I did a double take. Astrid! Jumping down the last few metres to the ground, I ran over to her, feeling for a heart beat. There was one, thank Thor. Before I gathered the unconscious teen up in my arms, I looked around for the dragon that had undoubtedly hurt her. It was nowhere to be seen, although there were scales and fresh blood. My only hope was that Astrid was with no one and that the dragon didn't take them. I grabbed a scale on the ground, placing it in a pocket then scrambling to where I knew was a easy passage up to level ground.

I was pulled up short. There was a shield, obviously one from the arena, stuck in between the two walls. I shook my head. Now was not the time to wonder what it was doing here. With a cry, I kicked the shield into splinters. Hurrying up onto level ground, I raced away for the village, Astrid groaning gently in my arms at being jostled.

I reached the outskirts of the village of Berk and turned towards Gothi's house. Luckily I had turned up on the right side of the village. Racing up the wooden steps, I called out to the mute healer. She came out immediately, seeing Astrid in my arms, hurt and very pale. Gesturing for me to put Astrid on the healer's own bed, Gothi grabbed some clean rags and started to clean away the blood on Astrid's face.

"Will she be alright?" I gasped, still trying to catch my breath after the unexpected exercise. Gothi whacked me on my head for my troubles, telling me to shush as she placed a bandage over Astrid's wound. Only then she turned to me, scribbling in the dirt with her staff.

Astrid has a bad concussion. Gothi wrote. Something hit her hard. Do you know what happened? She eyed me suspiciously.

"I have no clue what happened!" I cried. "I just found her like ... that." I gestured awkwardly at the still form of one of my students.

Go get her parents. They need to be here. When she wakes up she can tell us what happened.

"On it." I said, racing down the stairs towards the Hofferson's house.

xXx

(Astrid's POV)

Shaded daylight. A cove. A lake. My sharpened axe. A growl. Dragon? Hiccup.

Hiccup!!

I leapt forward, sitting up so suddenly that I startled everyone in the room with me. Then pain hit me, clanging from my head. I groaned aloud, my hands clutching my cut and the bandage there. Blinking my fuzzy vision, I realised there was a hand holding me steady. I looked up to see the blurry vision of my father.

"Dad?" I croaked.

"Take it easy Astrid. You've hit you head somehow." he said.

"You're in Gothi's house," my mother said, just behind my father. "Gobber brought you here." Looking towards the end of the bed, and sure enough, there was Gobber, smiling in relief to see that I was awake.

I felt a tap on my shoulder and I turned to see the wrinkled figure of Gothi. She held out a cup full of fresh water. I took it and drank eagerly.

How are you feeling? Gothi wrote.

I coughed before answering. "Like a yak trampled over my head." I replied.

"What happened?" Gobber asked me.

I squinted, trying to remember.

"Well, I was mad that I wasn't the one going to kill the dragon in front of the whole village so I went to the forest to cool off. I heard a twig snap behind me and I saw Hiccup. Um, since I was so angry, I followed him 'cause I wanted to find out how he went from useless to top recruit. So I did, and he went to this place. I think it was a cove? But anyway, I surprised him and he freaked but then he just stopped and looked behind me and ..." I trailed off. "Oh gods, Hiccup!!" I leapt out of bed, just managing not to collapse because of my head. My father steadied me again and gently pushed me down to sit back on the bed, my head in my hands.

Gobber erupted forward.

"What is it lass? Where's Hiccup?"

I looked up at him, pain in my eyes, though not just from my head.

"Please get the chief Gobber. He needs to hear this."

"Astrid?" My mother frowned.

"Hiccup's ... gone."