Please, put me out of my misery (Part 2) Chapter 13

3rd POV

“…3!” Merle and Weaver pulled the trigger simultaneously. A deafening shot rang through the room; but it wasn’t Weavers. The Captains gun had jammed the second he pulled the trigger. His eyes widened as the gun clicked softly. His gaze never detracted from his rifle that shook violently in his hands. He felt his heart momentarily stop as the gunshot rung in his ears. Time seemed to come to a standstill. He became numb to his surroundings. He was too late. He should’ve shot the minute he entered. Why didn’t he shoot?! Hunters’ voice rang in his ears. He squeezed his eyes shut in attempt to block it out. He repeatedly begged it to stop under his breath, but her voice grew louder. He exhaled through his nose before slowly looking over at his daughter. As soon as his eyes landed on her his gun slipped from his grasp. His mouth fell open in bafflement.

“H-Hunter?” he stuttered breathily as he stared into her big blue eyes. She was fine. But how? 

“Dad…” Hunter whimpered quietly.

“How are…b-b-but, my gun, it jammed…I don’t” Weaver stuttered as his eyes skimmed over everyone in the room.

“Mine didn’t” Ben spoke making Weaver turn to him. Ben still had his gun raised; it shook slightly in his hands as his adrenaline slowly diminished. For the first time ever, Ben was grateful for being harnessed. His heightened abilities allowed him to hear the jamming of Weavers gun and pull the trigger before Merle could.

Weaver sprinted to Hunters side. He was quick to undo the shackles that bound her wrists. As soon as the pressure left her wrists, she threw her arms around her father’s torso and sobbed uncontrollably into his chest. Weaver wrapped his arms protectively around her and kissed the top of her head.

“Shhh, it’s all right baby-girl. I’m here now” Weaver soothed as he stroked her hair.

“I’m sorry papa…I’m so sorry…I-I didn’t listen!” Hunter cried.

“Hey, hey, hey, there’s no need to go apologizing. You haven’t done anything wrong. I should’ve gone with you in the first place, like I promised. Then none of this would’ve happened…I’m so sorry I wasn’t there for you” a tear slipped from his eye as he whispered the last part.

“You can’t…be there for me…all the time” Hunter spoke quietly between hiccups.

“I can try” Weaver nodded in affirmation.

Tom mason peeled of his coat and walked over to Weaver. He cleared his throat making Weaver look up at him. Tom held out his coat and nodded in Hunters direction. Weaver released Hunter and smiled gratefully as he took the coat from Tom. Weaver draped the coat over his daughters’ shoulders. Hunter sucked in air and grimaced as the material came in contact with the unpleasantly tender wounds on her back. Weaver went to remove the coat but she held up her hand, making him stop. She exhaled deeply as she relaxed into the warm material. She clung to the front of her fathers’ jacket with an iron grip as he gently scooped her up into his arms and started carrying her outside.

Felix ran in front of Weaver so he could check on Hunter. He walked backwards as he watched her slip in and out of consciousness. Hunter spotted Felix bopping up and down with worried eyes. She smiled down at him tiredly.