Meeting the 2nd Mass (Chapter 6)

Hunters’ POV

My Dad led me down a series of hallways towards the cafeteria. I had so many questions I wanted to ask him, but he seemed to be enjoying the silence, so I kept my mouth shut.  The walk was quiet except for the sound of our shoes squeaking with each step. This school was surprisingly clean considering the circumstances. If it wasn’t for the scuff marks on the tiles, you could actually eat off the floor! Not that I would, because you know, that’d be gross! Blueprints were stuck loosely to the walls; duffel bags were strewn across the floor, each one filled to the brim with supplies; the lights flickered overhead. It was strange to see a place that usually contains so much energy in such a quiet time of night.

We rounded the corner and I could see the barely illuminated double doors that led to the cafeteria. I instantly became anxious; I was never good at meeting new people. Throughout all my years of schooling I only ever had about two close friends. They say the first impression is the most important part of socialising, and yet that seems to be the part where I lose them. I always end up embarrassing myself.

We came to a stop just outside the double doors. My Dad turned to me with a gentle smile and squeezed my shoulder “Nervous?”

“Uh…no, I think I’m okay” I exhaled trying to calm my nerves.

He nodded and opened the door, allowing me to enter first. I pictured the cafeteria to look like one you’d find in an army camp, but it wasn’t like that at all. The room was warm and friendly. Tables were scattered around the room, each one sat at least ten people. Most of the tables were already filled with eating, chatting people who glanced up with obvious interest when my Dad and I entered.

I followed my Dad over to a table in the corner of the room where seven people sat talking and laughing. The only person I recognised was Anne. None of them seemed to notice the two of us walk up. Two boys seemed to be in deep discussion, while the others watched in amusement.

“You’re wrong, Ben! Out of all the superheroes in the DC universe, Superman is the coolest!” a little boy, around the age of 9 or 10, debated animatedly.

“Keep dreaming, squirt! Everyone knows that Batman is the coolest superhero there is” the blonde teenager, Ben I think his name was, argued just as excitedly. 

“Wonder Woman is pretty amazing” a guy with spikey brown hair interrupted.

“Stay out of this Hal” the boys said at the same time.

A pretty blonde woman patted ‘Hals’ arm softly as he glared the two that snapped at him.

“How is Batman cooler? The dude doesn’t even have any powers!” the younger one exclaimed dramatically.

Before Ben could respond I found myself butting in “I have to agree with blondie on this one. Batman is pretty awesome.” They all turned and looked at me in surprise. To be honest I was a little surprised myself. I hate strangers butting in to other peoples’ conversations, and yet here I was doing the thing I hated. Guess my inner geek is just stronger than I am right now.

“No way! Superman has all those cool powers, and what does Batman have? Nothing, cause he’s just an ordinary guy with no powers! So tell me how he’s cooler” the little boy said staring me in the eye.

I smiled “True, he doesn’t have any superpowers, but that’s exactly what makes him such a badass! Think about it, he’s like you and me, plus several billion dollars. He fears, he hurts, he breaks, he triumphs, he knows defeat, he’s vulnerable, he’s insane, he rages, he’s mortal; he becomes what the people need when they need it…he shows us we can be better than we are. He’s the Dark Knight. The Caped Crusader. The greatest detective. He’s brought down monsters, super villains and aliens alike. He’s even taken down Superman, ya know. He fights evil on all fronts, meeting it head-on in whatever form it comes, and does it with wits, cunning, gadgets and hard work. Fact is, it’s easy to be badass when you have a super power. It basically comes with the territory. But someone who can get the job done without the use of superpowers, equals pure badass!”