The chase! (Chapter 1)

“Run, run, run!” I yelled at the little boy ahead of me. The Swarmers were hot on our heels. My legs burned. The deep gash in my stomach was agony, making it hard to run as fast as I wanted. My throat was hoarse from screaming. Blood and sweat trickled down into my eyes, making it difficult to see what was in front of me. But I wasn’t going to give up. I wasn’t going to die; not like this.

I presume you wanna know what’s going on. Well, I suppose there’s no harm in telling you how I got myself into this god awful situation. First off, my name is Hunter. Hunter Weaver. And yes…I’m a girl. I know it’s a guys’ name but blame my parents! I was a normal teenage girl, with normal friends, and normal problems. Not perfect, but hey, what is? Then about 3 months ago it all changed. The Earth was invaded by these weird creatures from outer space. People have different names for them. Skitters. Crawlers. Creepers. We call them Swarmers. Why? Because they always travel in groups; I have yet to see one alone. And when they spot you they begin to, well…swarm. I got separated from my family a week after the invasion, so I was forced to travel alone. I hope they’re ok. I taught myself how to fight, to fire a gun, to hunt…to survive. But back to the present moment. Why are we running for our lives? Why are we all beat up and bloody? Because we were betrayed. That bastard sold us out to the Swarmers! He’s the reason why we’re now running for our life, with no ammunition, no supplies, and hardly any survivors. I swear the next time I see him, I’m gonna put a bullet between his eyes.

“HUNTER!” Felix, the little eight year old boy, screamed. He was pinned down, a Swarmer hovering over him.

“Get off of him!” I yelled racing towards them. I raised my gun, which I’ve been using as a club, and swung as hard as I could into the aliens face causing it to stumble back a few feet. I hoisted Felix onto my back and continued to run.

“Hunter, I-I’m scared” he cried into my shoulder.

 “I know kiddo, I know.  Everything will be alright. I promise” I whispered as soothingly as I could. Truth be told, I wasn’t sure if we were even going to survive this. All I could do was hope.

I continued to push my way through the trees without hesitation. I heard the Swarmers shrieking behind me. I hear their feet pounding into the dirt ground behind me, increasing in speed. They’re catching up. And fast. I stumble over sticks and logs. My clothes are torn and covered in sludge and blood. There’s just no end to these woods! Everything looks the same. I don’t know where to go. A tree root snatches my ankle and I fall face first into the dirt. Felix screams as I feel his weight suddenly lift from my back. He grunts as his small body makes contact with the ground. Spitting out the dead leaves that filled my mouth, I tried pushing myself up. My arms screamed in protest, tears streamed down my cheeks; stinging the cuts I had on my face. Glancing behind I saw a thick branch protruding from my leg. I wanted to cry and shout in agony. I was so focused on the pain in my leg that I didn’t hear the footsteps coming to a stop in front of me. A shadow loomed over me, momentarily blocking out the sun. This is it. This was the end of the road for me. Slowing glancing up I was met by a pair of frightened green eyes.

 “H-Hunter…y-you’re hurt” he stuttered as his eyes glided over my injured leg.

“I’ll…be ok” I pant out. I try and force myself up. Using the tree beside me I quickly heave myself up. I take a step but stumble to the ground, screaming with pain. Felix is by my side in an instant. He says something but I can’t hear him. The pain is excruciating. Little black spots cloud my vision. I can feel myself slipping in and out of consciousness.  “F-Felix…” I choke “…you need…to…run.” The Swarmers must be dangerously close now.

“B-but-“

“No buts!” I snap “you need to go NOW!”

“I won’t leave you” he cries falling to his knees. I wrap my arm around his shoulders and kiss his forehead.

“You need to” I whisper. I pull back and look at his fear stricken face. His eyes are red and puffy from crying. His bottom lip quivers, allowing sobs to slip out. I wipe the blood from his face with my sleeve. “Felix, it’s too late for me. I can’t go anywhere with my leg the way it is. But you still have a chance. I want you to run. Keep running and don’t look back. Can you do that?”

“I-I guess” he whimpered.

“Good, now go, quickly” I said, gently pushing him up. Reluctantly he began running. I heard the Swarmers feet scurrying along the earth. They were here. Surrounding me. And there was nothing I could do about it. I tried glaring at them beneath my muddy bangs but my eyelids were heavy. My body ached. My breaths were short and rugged. I was in no condition to fight, and they knew it. I closed my eyes and let my body relax. I was ready to die. It’s true what people say; you’re life really does flash before your eyes. Memories of my family flooded my mind. Both good and bad.  I remember my Dad pushing me on the swings, ‘Higher Higher’ I kept squealing with joy. Mum and Dad having tea parties with me and my dolls. The time I crashed my bike into Mr Morrisons’ fence. When my Mum taught me how to bake while my Dad taught me how to play sports. The first time I snuck out of the house. My first kiss. My…parents’ divorce.

Suddenly, a shot rang through the air.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Authors' note: So this is my attempt at a Falling Skies story. How amazing is the show!!! 

Anyway, this is the first chapter. Did you guys like it? I hope you did. Please let me know what you think :)

-Sarah