The Afternoon

The Fall

Trinity's POV

I didn't tell anyone at my lunch table about what happened. No, I just ate quickly and quietly until the bell rang.

"Hey, are you wearing lipstick?" Melody asked when she caught up to me. I blushed furiously and looked down.

"Nope. No makeup for me."

"Well you're wearing mascara."

"You can tell?" I asked. She nodded.

"What's with the sudden make-up interest?" she asked. I pushed hair out of my face.

"No reason. It was just a nice change."

"It wouldn't have to do with-"

"No! Ew!" I said, already knowing what she was referring to. I would never use sticky, gloppy makeup for that kid.

"Well... so then why are your lips all red?"

I tried to hide in my locker. "Are they red? I wonder why."

"If I didn't know better, I'd say you've been... in touch with someone, Trin."

"And by that you mean..." I said, trying to play dumb.

"I'd say you've been in a makeout session recently." she said. "Chapped lips, flushed face, unruly hair-"

I swatted her arm. "Shut up already. So I kissed someone, no big deal for you to get all worried about." I tried to act like I was busy with my bag. Melody closed my locker with a bang.

"So who was the lucky guy? It wouldn't happened to have been-"

I didn't let her finish. "No, ma'am, definitely not him."

She smirked. "So it was Nate, then."

I looked at her. "Did you not just here me?"

"Yes, I heard your horrible lie."

I rolled my eyes. "Please. Can we just drop this?" I played with the bandage around my hand.

"Alright, alright!" Melody held up her hands in surrender. "I have to go then. See you, Trin!"

"Bye!'

Melody left, hooking up with some of her senior friends. Liz had disappeared since lunch - I looked around, trying to find her to no avail. I resorted to twirling the chain on my necklace, staring around the hall blankly.

Destined. I wanted to know what it meant, and why it had been burned onto my bottle. And Nate - ugh. Nate had something burned in his, too, but I really didn't want to talk to him at the moment.

The bell saved me from my thoughts. I walked with my book in hand to science. At least I would see Liz there.

~

Tucker and I had walked from school together around the block to the nearest Starbucks. We were seated in a window seat, each sipping a drink and eating cake pops. I laughed, trying not to think about anything but this afternoon. Don't think about the kiss. Don't think about your responsibilities. Don't think about Nate. Just look at his eyes.

We just talked and talked and talked.... people came and went around us. My phone buzzed angrily on the table beside me after what only seemed like a few minutes - I looked at the time - 5:37. Then I looked the the Caller I.D.

Mommy ~~ <3

I cringed. Shoot.

"Hang on - hello?" I answered, trying not the think about the background noise shed inevitably hear.

"Trinity Harper, where are you?"

"I'm, uh, on my way now!" I said, making an apologetic face at Tucker before jumping from my seat and going outside. After a moment, she hung up. Tucker was waiting in the doorway.

"I'm so sorry, I need to -"

"I know, I should be going anyway. This was a lot of fun though - thank you, Trin." Tucker smile. He leaned down and pressed another innocent kiss to my cheek. I blushed furiously and smiled dorkily.

"See you, then." I said, then took off running to the school, where my mom was to pick me up. The conversation waiting for me in the car was not one I looked forward too.