The Search

My alarm beeped obnoxiously as I blinked the sleep from my eyes.

"Morning birthday girl!" My dad called as he walked into my room with his briefcase. He kissed my forehead before calling goodbye as he left for work. I groaned and rolled over, burying myself under my blanket even more as my alarm continuously told me it was time to get up.

"Trinity!" my mom shouted. "Turn of that blasted alarm and come have your birthday breakfast."

I rolled out of bed and took a look in the mirror. My hair stuck up in every which way, little curls poofing and zig zagging around my head. Despite having just woken up, my eyes were brillienty green and bright, sleep not affecting the striking color.

I padded out of my room and quickly followed the scent of blueberry pancakes to the kitchen. My mom hugged me and fawned over me until I escaped to my room again to get ready for school.

Throwing on some jeans and a long sleeve cardigan, I slipped into the bathroom and took a brush from my counter. Time to tame the beast.

After spending a good ten minutes raking through the mop of curls, I looked at the perky poof of hair that came to rest on my shoulders, smiling. I brushed my teeth and slipped on my converse before grabbing my bag and climbing into the car.

~

I slammed my locker and looked around, relishing the extra time I had before classes started. Juniors and Seniors milled about; the Freshmen and Sophomores were in a seperate wing of the school. I looked for anyone without a full sand bottle - Marissa Ryler had her bottle only half full. But she aspired to be a nun - maybe that was true. Daniel Hawthorne's wasn't filled to the top, either, but he was still 15, the baby of the class.

I sighed and clicked the lock closed on the dark green locker. I then proceded to squeal quite loudly.

"Happy Birthday!" a voice shouted in my ear. I could see that we had caught the attention of multiple people, who now looked at me with pity as the person clambered off my back from where they had been perched. I turned to see none other than Lizzie, my long-time best friend in the entire universe.

"Thanks, Liz." I said, smoothing my top and running a hand through my hair. Lizzie looked perfect, as always. Her carmel colored hair fell in long spirals down to her waist. Her gray eyes were complimented by just the right amount of mascara, and her bangs fell just to the tip of her left eye. She wore skin tight jeans, ugg boots, and a magenta sweater over a white tanktop. I envied her style, most of the time, but not in a jealous way. I smiled at her.

"Ready for your present?" she said, her hands knotted behind her back. I quirked an eyebrow at her.

"Present? Liz, you know you didn't need to-"

"Too bad!" she said, shoving a neatly wrapped box into my hands before running into the crowd of people so that I couldn't hound her for buying me something. I rolled my eyes and tore open the gift, putting the sparkly Happy Birthday sticker on my locker.

Pulling away the wrapping, A small, clear case stared back up at me. Inside the plastic, a pair of bright blue headphones were curled tightly around their packaging. I smiled and put the gift into my bag before hurrying through the halls to my first class - combined history.

The Juniors and Seniors all were crowding into the over-sized history classroom. I slid into my seat on the left side of the classroom, putting my book and pencil bag on my desk before crossing my legs and looking around.

Lizzie was in the other homeroom, and so was in the combined history class later in the day. I sighed and put my hands on my desk, slouching over them and resting my chin on the cool wood.

A couple of loud, boisterous voices came up behind me, talking loud enough for me I hear them on purpose. I groaned as soon as I recognized the voice.

"So, guys, rumor has it, my match goes to this school."

The two other voices faked surprise. I rolled my eyes and tried to hide in my seat.

"Mhmm. In fact, she just turned sixteen today. We should see if she is truly my match."

The others agreed. I hid my face under my arms. A body wiggled between my desk the the one in front. I peeked up to be met with a view of white jeans and the edge of a bright blue shirt. The person squatted down, and my green eyes were met by dazzling blue ones. A mop of unruly blonde hair hung to his eyebrows, which were arced with his half smile.

"Hello, Trinity."

"Nate."

He blinked, unfazed by my lack of melting into a puddle of adoration at his feet. I stared him right back, not lifting my chin from my hands.

"I'm sure you heard Jace, Liam and I a minute ago..." he prompted. I pretended to play dumb.

"What? hmmm... No, don't recall."

It seemed to take all his self control not to scowl at me and walk away, giving me an insult on his way out. Instead, he just tilted his head and smiled wider. "We were just saying that you are one of the girls that have a pattern like mine, and considering you just turned sixteen, we thought we should see if you're the lucky girl." he wiggled one of his eyebrows. I stared at him.

"And why should I give you that satisfaction?" I asked innocently. He still smiled.

"Think of it this way - the faster you get it over with, the sooner we never have to speak again."

I stood and tugged my necklace to its full length, handing the bottle to the boy smirking in front of me.

He took the bottle in his hand, and even though he was rude, he didn't pull the chain against my neck. Instead, as he examined the pattern, he leaned in so that his face was mere inches from mine. I told myself in my head, he is the worst possible person. I could never be his-

"Match." he whispered. His breath tickled my nose. I pulled away, making him drop the bottle as I groped around his shirt until I found the bottle tucked beneath the fabric. Pulling on the chain so he flew forward a step in surprise, I scoured his pattern. The breath caught in my throat, and I looked at him incredulous. His eyes were wide, but his face still held a mocking smirk. As always.

"You've got to be kidding me."

"Come on now, don't be so upset."

"I'm not that bad." he laced a hand around my back, pulling me close. I was too stunned to speak as he pressed a kiss to my lips. It seemed like I was frozen, encased in ice in the cold grasp of this idiot. I let my brain thaw enough to do the only perfectly logical thing - I punched him in the stomach.

He doubled over, letting out a wheeze. I shook out my hand, grabbed my bag, and stormed out of the classroom, letting the door slam behind me. I made my way to my locker, depositing my backpack, before thinking of an excuse to escape to the nurse.

Nate Williams was my match. My match. I shuddered, thinking that nausea was a perfectly reasonable option for a nurse trip.