chapter 6

dad and i kept watch at the back as everyone went in. we don't know what we're getting ourselves into.

dad and i both kept our bows raised. we need to be ready for anything. i heard guns click and i kept my stand and kept watch.

i heard an unfamiliar voice ask if any of us were infected. rick told him no. the man told us that if we do a blood test, we can get in. and that we need to go get our stuff because it's not opening again once he closes it.

dad and i ran out to the truck to grab our bags and my shotgun. we ran back in along with the rest of the group getting supplies.

the man introduced himself as dr.edwin jenner. on the elevator going back up, edwin joked around with carl. he seems like an okay guy.

everyone started getting their blood drawn. dad noticed me panicking. needles are the one thing in the world that i can't handle.

dad noticed me freaking out so he put an arm around my shoulder. right after carl got his blood drawn he went back over to lori. "kid, come on" he said looking at me.

i froze right in my place. edwin then looked at my dad. "she's afraid of needles" dad explained.

"well damn, we finally found the bad ass teenager's week spot. needles." t-dog said. "shut the hell up" dad said grabbing my hand and basically dragging me over there.

"i'm edwin" edwin said holding out his hand. i froze again. i then sighed. "reagan" i said shaking his hand. he then pulled out the needle. my heart rate started picking up.

"rae chill." dad said. edwin then stuck the needle in my arm.

DARYL'S POV

right when edwin stuck the needle in her arm, she passed out. i caught her right before she fell.

"that bad?" edwin asked. "has been since she was little" i said holding her up.

after about a minute, he took the needle out of her arm. "she's all done. i'll need you in a minute" he said to me. i nodded and picked reagan up bridal style.

i walked over to one of the chairs and sat down with her in my lap. after about 5 minutes she finally woke up.

REAGAN'S POV

i woke up feeling dizzy. i was in my dad's lap. "mornin' sunshine" dad said when i made eye contact with him.

"i pass out?" i asked annoyed with myself. "yep" he said popping the p. i sighed and layed my head in the crook of his neck. i remained this way until he had to get his blood drawn.

when he was done, he came back over and sat me on his lap once again.

once edwin drew all of our blood and found out that we haven't ate in a few days, he treated us to a full out meal.

i haven't ate this good since before everything. it was quite nice.

dad sat in the back drinking wine straight out of the bottle while i sat next to carl and ate. i laughed at him tasting wine. "you try some rae" dad called out. carl handed the cup to me.

i took a sip. it ain't that bad. i tilted my head like i was confused. "eh" i said after a second. dad chuckled behind me along with the rest of the adults.

dad then told glenn he needs to man up and drink some wine. our discussions then turned into a more serious tone when shane asked what went wrong here.

after dinner edwin showed us where we can sleep. and when he mentioned showers with hot water we all became extremely happy. nice showers haven't been a thing these past couple of months.

one by one all of us took a shower. and it was amazing. dad and i then got settled into our room. well, i got us settled.

he was drunk, so that came with a little bit of a challenge. i didn't mind though. he was enjoying himself.

dad offered to sleep on the floor so i could sleep on the couch. i got his sleeping bag prepared for him. i put it right at the foot of the couch so he would be directly beside me.

until i got sleepy, i read a book. dad just kept on drinking until he completely crashed. eventually i got sleepy and drifted off to sleep.

the next morning we all had a full out breakfast with eachother. dad and i were the only ones with weapons. we brought our bows. we don't go anywhere without them.

it was like heaven. glenn's first hangover was hilarious. all of us were laughing at him. all of the adults were completely hung over. they passed around a bottle of advil for everyone to take. dad and i were he last ones to show up for the meal.

after we all ate, edwin took us to his work space. he showed us an inside of a brain and basically explained it to us. it was neat.

he then showed us what happens to the brain once a person is bitten by a walker. it spreads all through the brain until the person is a walker.

and then he showed us why the only reason you kill a walker is through it's brain.

everything made sense now.

the 'disease' it's in your brain. the only way to dispose of it is to completely damage the brain.

we also got broken the news that the world is complete shit and there's nothing we can do about it. there is no cure.

then dale noted that the clock has been counting down and it only has an hour left. we asked what it means.

when the clock hits to zero decontamination process happens.

the entire place blows up.

right as rick told us to go get our stuff, an alarm started blaring.

when we got locked in here, dad tried to attack edwin. shane and rick pulled him off. i looked up at my dad with a worried face.

yes, i actually am worried. i've gotten myself out of shit before but i don't know how to get myself out of this one.

we tried everything to get the door open. we wanted to live. dad gave up trying to break the door with an axe and tried to attack edwin with it. everyone held him back. "DAD! PUT IT DOWN! THAT AINT GONNA MAKE NOTHIN' BETTER!" i yelled over top of everyone.

he grunted and threw the axe down on the ground. i'm glad he listens to atleast someone here. and i am that someone.

edwin tried convincing us that this is the best way to die. then shane starting to shoot up the place out of anger.

after all of rick's convincing, edwin finally agreed to open the door up so we could live.

we all rushed out to get our stuff. jaqui sadly decided that she's staying behind.

none of the doors would open when we made it to the front. shane and dad tried breaking the glass with the axe but it didn't work. t-dog even tried a chair.

shane shot the glass and it still wouldn't break. but then carol pulled out ricks bomb that we had found in the tank.

rick went to the top of stairs as the rest of us layed close to the ground. i hunched in a ball and dad covered me with his body for extra protection.

the bomb went off and the glass broke. dad squeezed me a little tighter when the glass broke. we all quickly made our way out and killed the walkers in our way.

one they were all killed, we made our way over to our vehicles. in the truck, dad told me to lay down in the seat.

he once again covered my body with his. and then the c.d.c. exploded. i flinched at the sound.

"woah" i whispered looking at the aftermath. we then hit the road again having no clue where we were going next.