Lucky 13nth -pt.3-

They watched the sun slowly rise through the dense tree cover, rays of thermal energy shined through the tree canopy where it was thin or not covered. Donell knelt down and let one of the beams of sunlight wash over his face, he closed his eyes and let the natural warmth of the sun soak into his skin. It would be the first time in several months that he had felt a natural source of heat. TheUnyielding Fury, the Imperial Navy Transport that shipped Donell and the rest of his regiment to this planet had artificial heating and stale recycled air to go along with the rigid, cramped sleeping quarters. Donell enjoyed being on planets even if it meant he was there to wage war, he enjoyed the cool crisp breeze and the warmth of the sun. It all reminded him of his home world Tolera III  although he was certain he would never return home, he always kept the memory of it in the back of his mind, the picture of his home brought peace to his heart.

        Suddenly, something disturbed his peace.

       " Armored convoy, thirty meters and closing" Grinn advised in a low tone

       " Get to cover quick" Donell ordered as he made for a ditch on the side of the road

        The Captain rolled into the ditch slamming his shoulder into the wall of it, the six man scout team scattered upon receiving Donell's order. Tyex, the youngest of the six followed the Captain into the ditch and sat idle next to him. The group of armored vehicles began to pass the Captain, dirt and pebbles clanked off his and Tyex's helmet as they did and then suddenly explosions erupted under the first transport blowing apart its drive shaft and axle. Suddenly more explosions began tear open the armored transports setting fire to whoever may have been unlucky to be inside.  

       " Who opened fire?!" Donell questioned over the concussive balst of yet another explosion

       " No one sir! we didn't pack A-T weapons!" Tyex responded in a similar fashion

        Donell poked his head out of the ditch to see missile fire coming from within the high grass. Before he could make a more accurate guess at who was shooting the convoy in front of him dropped its ramp and troops began to run out in two filed ranks.

       " Hit 'em!" Donell ordered as he leveled his own pistol

        The six men all concentrated their fire on the heretic troopers exiting the transport, Tyex being the most effective as he poured a stream of ignited promiethium down onto the doomed traitors with his flamethrower. Any who didn't get swallowed in the flames was scythed down by disciplined assault rifle burst fire. With the armored convoy reduced to nothing more but scrap metal, Donell waved the four other men to the ditch still scanning the high grass on the other side of the road for movement. The Captain picked himself up onto the road then helped his five squad mates do the same, with the threat neutralized Donell wanted to know who to thank for the help. He peeked out from behind one of the warped masses of steel that used to be an armored transport, a flash came from the grass and Donell leaped away from the corner as it exploded in a shower of sparks and metal. 

       " Thunder!," Jaymar yelled while he held onto his helmet bracing against the explosion.

       " Captain are you okay?!" Pell asked as he broke from cover racing to his Leaders aid.

       Grinn caught the faint sound of weapon slides racking back as Pell broke from cover he turned out from behind the destroyed transport to cover his battle brother. He turned on his knee and aimed down the barrel of his assault rifle ready to return fire. Jaymar jumped out of cover as soon as Grinn did but instead of taking up arms himself he violently grabbed the barrel of Grinn's rifle and pointed it to the ground