Seven

**Attached photo is of Camille**

Levi

I spent the next hour sipping warm beer and dreading what was to come. If I knew Matt, I was in for a world of trouble. His wingman skills were excellent and I knew I probably wouldn't have a shot in hell at getting away from this girl with the way he was known to talk a guy up. There was, however, at least a fifty percent chance I wouldn't live up to the hype and the girl would leave me alone. I found myself hoping I'd be a massive disappointment just so I could continue drinking and moping in peace.

As he'd so keenly observed, I'd been a moody disaster lately. It was pathetic and I knew it but I couldn't seem to get Mylee out of my head. No redheaded cowgirl, no matter how pretty she was, could be as interesting to me as Mylee was.

"Hey Levi," Matt whisper yelled, getting some spit on my cheek, "I think that's them. I only met Camille once and I was pretty drunk but that's got to be her. I mean, do you see any other cowgirls walking in?"

I ended the staring contest I was having with the brown bottle in my left hand and squinted to find the girl he was not-so-subtly pointing at.

The tall, dark-skinned brunette with her sparkly jeans and confident stride was hard to miss. I watched her parade towards us, eyes locked on Matt. Her straight white teeth caught the light as she waltzed her way through the crowd dragging a smaller girl that didn't look like she wanted to be there very badly. I felt the same.

Both girls wore belt buckles as big as my fist and western-style tank tops with their sparkly-ass jeans. The brunette's hair hung down to her waist in ringlets. I couldn't see the face of the other girl because of the teal trucker hat she kept pulled low on her forehead. Loosely braided red hair peeked out from the sides but it was hard to tell the length with it slung behind her back.

It couldn't be Mylee. There was no way in hell.

My eyes frantically scanned her figure as the two approached, praying that something, anything would give her away as the girl I'd been kicking myself over for a week now. Sure, the hair seemed to match, but the clothes definitely didn't. She'd looked model-worthy when I saw her on the beach that day. This girl was dressed like some snobby barrel racer, which is what I guessed her friend to be.

Camille had that overly confident air to her that seemed to both shove people out of her way and draw them in at the same time. The girl sparkled like a disco ball and smiled like she was used to being the center of attention. No wonder Matt liked her so much. My best friend had always reminded me of a crow with his slick dark hair and love of collecting shiny, useless things. He could be pretty obnoxious, too.

The other girl, though... She kept her head down so nobody could get a good view of her face. Her arms stayed crossed over her stomach even as Camille pulled her through the throng of intoxicated college students.

Everyone was more rowdy than usual as it was nearing the end of the spring semester. Coincidentally, the end of this term was also the final phase in my goal to get in shape and sign with the Marines, only I didn't feel much like celebrating. With Mylee on my mind I hadn't been able to focus like I needed. Part of me doubted I'd even be able to pass my finals because of her, and the other part of me didn't really care. Grades didn't matter much in the Marines and I literally had no way to finish my degree until after I served my minimum four years anyway.

"Hi, Matt," Camille cooed, running a hand down my roommate's arm. We hadn't even officially met and she was making me uncomfortable.

"Heyyy, you made it!" He slurred, throwing his arms around her. Somehow beer didn't spill everywhere, which was pretty amazing. Matt definitely wasn't in great shape.

Camille continued touching and crooning over Matt, he basked in the attention. I sipped my beer, the redhead picked at her fingernails. It was going to be a long night.