The Light Keeper's Daughter - Chapter 9

Chapter 9

A few moments later, the carriage pulled in front of the Jacobson & Son Shipping Company warehouse and offices close to the docks. The salty smell in the air was something Daniel had grown accustomed to at the lighthouse. Yet the stench of the fish and the workers, mingled with the smell that drifted out of the taverns was something that almost knocked Daniel over.

In the back of his mind, he knew that the area around a port was not for the faint of heart, yet the Jacobson offices looked free of litter and offensive smells. It appeared that a fresh coat of paint was applied within the past year or two and that the salty air had not weathered it down much. One thing for sure, Franklin and his father took pride in their business.

Off to the side in dry dock, they caught sight of a large ship being worked on. They could hear workers hammering and sawing, while others were applying a fresh coat of paint on the hull. As Daniel helped Camila out of the carriage she noticed the direction of his gaze and said, “I believe that is the ship Mr. and Mrs. Jacobson are taking to Europe. They are adding staterooms for their trip.”

Daniel was unable to reply because at that moment Franklin came rushing out of the door and grabbed Camila into a hug, “I wasn’t expecting you today!” he said as he finally released her.

Camila straightened the bonnet that was coming loose on her head and Daniel knew she wished she had not worn it. He smiled.

“Well, we need to talk to you. Can we go somewhere private?”

“Of course,” Franklin looped Camila’s hand through the crook of his arm and led her into the building, through a series of hallways and up a flight of stairs to his office. Daniel followed.

The office was spacious with a large desk and a couple of leather upholstered chairs facing the extravagantly detailed mahogany desk. Behind the desk, a large window showed the dock below and it looked almost picturesque with the masts of the Jacobson’s ships lined up by the dock.

Franklin held out a chair for Camila and sat down in the chair next to her leaving one vacant next to the wall or the one behind Franklin’s desk for Daniel. Knowing it would be rude, he didn’t want to sit in the large chair behind Franklin’s desk, where he thought Franklin should have sat, so Daniel picked up the chair next to the wall and brought it over and positioned it on the other side of Camila. He thought this would make sure when Franklin looked towards Camila, he would see Daniel as well.

“What can I do for you Cammie?” Franklin looked Camila in the eyes and tried to ignore the interloper that was now sitting next to her.

“Well, for us really,” Camila nodded towards Daniel and Franklin’s heart dropped as he thought the worst. Did this rouge waltz in and in a couple of weeks take his place in Camila’s heart? “Daniel is Father’s apprentice and last night we witnessed something and we hope you can help us solve the mystery.”

A little shocked of the news Daniel was not only staying in town, but staying on as Mr. Underwood’s apprentice did not sit well with Franklin, but he had learned long ago in business deals to school his reaction to bad news, so he did it now without even thinking. “Okay, what did you see?”

Camila looked to Daniel and he knew she was giving him the chance to tell the story. He considered that maybe this was a bridge she was offering for him and Franklin to work together and get rid of the undercurrent of hostility that was always riding below the surface when they were together.

Daniel began telling the story and as soon as he told Franklin that the ship dropped cargo, he noticed Franklin lean in slightly and raise his eyebrow. Knowing then that Franklin was eager to hear the rest of the story, Daniel told him about the boat that came out and picked up the crates floating in the ship’s wake.

When Daniel finished, Franklin leaned back in his seat and looked out the window towards the ships bobbing in the dock. “I wish I could say this doesn’t happen, but quite often we have a ship come in missing cargo. It normally doesn’t happen, but from time to time,” Franklin shrugged his shoulder, “it does. But,” Franklin looked back towards Camila and Daniel, “those crates we expect to lose at sea in a storm or high seas or even pirates. But from what you described these crates purposely went over the side and someone was waiting to claim them.” Franklin stood suddenly and began walking around the office, pacing like an animal in a cage. “And that bothers me.”

For a few moments the room was quiet allowing Franklin to think through what he had just heard. Camila broke the silence finally by saying, “They went north towards the caves.”

Franklin turned towards her and smiled. She knew what he was thinking and then he said it out loud, “Well, that’s their mistake.” He shook his head, looking at Camila with a smile on his face he said, “we know those caves better than anyone.”

“Yes, but there’s more,” Camila offered. Daniel looked at her like he didn’t want her to divulge her thought, but she knew Franklin needed to know everything. “Franklin, Daniel’s mother was killed last winter. And his memory loss might have something to do with this. If it does, then this could be very dangerous, for all involved.”

Franklin sighed. “That changes things.” He began pacing again, “Cammie, I don’t want you involved.”

“I agree.” Daniel said quickly.

Camila stood up quickly making the chair she had been sitting in moment before slide back a few inches and scrape on the hardwood floor. “Well, I don’t! I’m a part of this whether you,” she pointed to Franklin and then Daniel as she said, “or you want me to be. And there is nothing that either of you... you... buffoons can do to stop me.” Camila sat back down in her chair and crossed her arms across her chest and alternated glaring from Daniel to Franklin and then back again.

Franklin turned to watch Camila’s outburst and when she finished he exchanged a look with Daniel. They were almost telling each other in that glance that they expected this and then they both began to laugh. Unwilling to hold in the joviality another moment.

Daniel reached over and took Camila’s hand that was fisted and said, “We couldn’t stop you if we wanted to. I think Franklin and I both know that when you set your mind to something you don’t give up.” He looked towards Franklin for confirmation, but suddenly saw the glare in his eyes and knew it was because he was holding Camila’s hand. But, Daniel did not care about Franklin’s feelings, only Camila’s.

Franklin, not wanting to be left out, sat back down and took Camila’s other hand and said, “Cammie, of course you will be a part of this. But,” when Camila glared at him he rubbed the back of her hand with her thumb, raised his eyebrow and waited until she was looking at him, “but safety comes first. And if we feel a situation will be too dangerous, you need to listen to us and stay clear.”

Knowing that Daniel was worried for her because he didn’t want to watch her die like his mother, she nodded. “Okay, but I don’t want to be left out of any ideas or decisions. I don’t want the two of you running off,” and small smile lifted the corner of her mouth as she said, “having all the fun.”

“Okay,” Franklin said, “but you have to agree that you will listen to us if we think it’s dangerous. No running off and trying to save the day.”

Nodding Camila promised she would follow their lead in the investigation. Leaving Franklin’s office, they told him they were going to the library to look in the newspaper archives to see if they could figure out more of Daniel’s past. And Franklin promised to meet them at the lighthouse at four, allowing them to get a few hours of sleep and Franklin to wrap-up some loose ends in the office before beginning the investigation in the caves.

******

Twenty minutes later, Camila and Daniel entered the archives of the library. Several of the newspapers from New York City, which was only an hour’s ride away in a carriage and thirty or less by a train was archived in the library. “Which one do we start with?” Camila asked as they stood and looked at the large binders for the various papers.

Without thinking Daniel said, “It won’t be in the Herald. Father hid her death and only put  it in the obituary.”

Camila looked up at him with a shocked look on her face. “What? What did you say?”

“Father hid it.” Then realizing what he said, he grabbed Camila’s hand and looked at her with an astonished face, “Father. He is owner and editor of the Herald. He did not publish a story about mother’s death. He said that it hurt too much. And he refused to profit from sales of a paper dedicated to his wife’s death like every other paper in town.”

“Daniel, what’s your last name?” Camila asked.

“Theroux.”

“Do you remember everything?”

Daniel shook his head, “I’m not sure. Mother was killed and Father was afraid something would happen to me. I was a reporter, and investigating something, but I don’t know what. He hired men to follow me, keep an eye on me. I know it was to keep me safe, and he worried, but I made a game out of ditching them. I couldn’t have them follow me and do my job. I remember losing them and getting on a boat. I bought a ticket as a passenger, but the next thing I know, I woke up on the shore.”

“Daniel, do you know what this means?” Camila didn’t give him a chance to comment, “Daniel, this means that you were probably on one of those ships that dumped cargo. You were probably investigating them already.”

“I don’t remember.” Daniel shook his head, “I really wish I could.”

“Would your father? Should you go and see him? At least contact him so he does not worry about you?”

“I don’t know. If the men that threw me overboard think I am dead, I don’t want them to realize they messed up. But, I’ve always leaned on Dad for advice, he has a cool, calm head on his shoulders.”

Camila fought a tidal wave of emotions and concern in her mind. If she suggested looking up the newspapers on his mother’s death, it might bring back bad memories. However, her curiosity won out and she asked, “Do you still need to look up reports on your mother?”

As much as he didn’t want to see it, he knew deep down that maybe there was something he didn’t know that would trigger a memory. “I think I need to.”

An hour later after looking at every newspaper article about his mother’s death, Daniel and Camila were heading back to the lighthouse. Daniel had taken some notes, but he could have written those articles, he knew all the basic facts mentioned and then some. With little else in the paper, he decided that they should head back to the house and get a few hours of sleep before meeting Franklin in their search of the caves.

They had been silent as the carriage left town, and Camila broke the silence, shaking her head in disbelief, “A reporter. I would not have expected that.” It was actually the last thing Camila would have expected. “Will you take your father’s place on day? As editor?”

Daniel laughed, “Not if I can help it. I enjoy my job, but I grew up watching the pressure he was under and I wouldn’t wish that on anyone. If it was a small town paper, maybe. But, not the Herald.”

“When we solve this, will you go back to the city?” Camila knew it was too soon to ask, but she was dying to know ever since he remembered his past. More importantly, she wondered if she would be a part of his future?

Daniel glanced at her and he didn’t know how to answer that question. “I don’t know. Let’s get this figured out and we can think about that later.”

Camila nodded but she couldn’t help the thoughts running through her mind. And none of them were happy. All she could do was pray that God would direct their footsteps.