The Light Keeper's Daughter - Chapter 14

Chapter 14

The sky was growing dark with storm clouds rolling into the bay. Daniel and Franklin had come back an hour ago and were now moving the drugs in the cave. Camila was not so patiently waiting for their return sitting on her bench on the bluff. Her gaze kept sweeping towards the cave, wishing to see them walking on the shore towards her. But, they were not who showed up on the beach.

Suddenly a covered wagon appeared down the bluff. Camila would not have seen it if she had not been looking through her looking glass at that moment. She watched as the men walked down the edge of the bluff close to the cave, then disappeared in the cave opening.

Her father was sleeping and Franklin and Daniel were inside the cave. She knew that her father and Daniel did not want her going to that end of the beach. But at that moment all she could think of was warning Franklin and Daniel. She took off down the stairs that lead to the beach before a plan could even formulate in her head. She had no weapon, nothing to protect herself. For a moment she thought about telling Bonnie to wake her father, but could not risk the time that would take. The men could already be in danger.

******

“That’s it,” Daniel shoved the last bundle of opium into place in its new home. All the drugs had been replaced with manure and rocks. “You don’t think they will find this cave do you?”

“No, let’s get out of here before Camila wears a path in the bluff.”

They began to leave the hidden cave where the drugs were held and as they approached the passageway they heard the men grunting as they carried a heavy crate out of their hiding place. Daniel knew they had finished just in time and he motioned to Franklin and they eased back to a hidden area of the cave.

******

Camila went into the cave and tried to allow her eyes to adjust to the darkness. She needed to assess the situation, but she also needed to warn Daniel and Franklin. She heard the men coming and moved quietly to the anchored boat to hide in its shadows. She was almost there when the men emerged from the passageway.

“Well, what do we have here?” the younger of the two men asked.

“Um. I was just...” Camila started heading towards the cave opening as both men sat down the crate they were carrying, “leaving.”

“I don’t think so,” the older of the two men said as he pulled a gun out of his waistband and rushed to grab her arm stopping her. Camila’s feet dug into the sand trying to resist the strongman’s tug.

Camila’s scream was muffled when the gun stock hit the back of her head. She crumpled to the ground. The young gangster smiled and said, “That ought to take care of her.”

“Idiot, she probably doesn’t know anything. And we were moving everything. Now we have to take her to the boss.”

******

Hidden, now just a few feet from the cave passageway, Daniel had a funny feeling. He knew something in his gut told him there was a problem. The men had passed by their hiding place moments before, but now the young one was carrying the crates back. Something went wrong and stopped them from removing the crates from the cave. After the boy passed them heading towards the beach, Daniel decided to follow him at a good distance.

When he was standing feet away from the opening from the passageway to the large cave opening, his blood froze in his veins as he saw the older of the two men lift Camila off the ground, throw her over his shoulder and head out to the beach. He started to run towards her until a hand grabbed his arm stopping him. “We’ll get them,” Franklin whispered in his ear. “If they spot us now, they will know we found the drugs.”

“We need to get to her. Stop them.” Daniel was beside himself. The woman he loves was just carried away by two gangsters. Possibly the ones who ordered him thrown off a ship. If anything happened to her... he would never forgive himself.

“If they are in the wagon Mr. Underwood described, we can catch them. We will follow her and get her out of danger.”

******

Camilla woke with a headache. The bed was shaking and it was dark all around her. She tried to sit up, but the bed lurched and that was when she heard the voices. The two men were talking and it all came back to her. The cave. She had gone to warn Daniel and Franklin. Against her father and Daniel’s wishes had gone to the cave and now no one knew she was missing. She laid still tying to hear the voices over the clatter of the wagon.

“... Parrino is not going to be pleased. She’s either aware of our hidey hole or very unlucky to show up when we did.”

“She might be worth something to someone. Maybe we can get some money out of this.”

“That’s up to the boss to decide...”

As she listened, Camila crawled to the back of the wagon and tried to open the latch that closed the door. It was either locked or stuck, but it would not budge. She would need to get away when they opened the door. She felt around in the dark for something... anything she could use for a weapon. But, there was nothing except for the crates they believed were filled with drugs, but only contained chunks of manure. Deciding it might be best to just lay back down and let them think she was unconscious until they put her where they were going to keep her and her odds might improve for escape. One thing was certain, Camila was on her own.

******

It was decided that it would be better off in the long run to take horses instead of a carriage, within moments of Camila’s abduction both Franklin and Daniel were mounted and riding off after her. They had taken the time to wake Mr. Underwood and let him know what happened. Mr. Underwood set off with them and eventually left them to chase after his daughter while he went to find the police. He figured enough was enough. The children had their fun spying and moving the smuggled drugs around. But now his baby, his only daughter was in danger because of this business and he wanted her back safe and sound.

Heading to the police station by the docks, he told the captain the story of the dropped crates, the hiding place in the cave and his daughter being taken by the mobsters.

While he was busy gaining support from the authorities, Daniel and Franklin were busy following the wagon at a safe distance, waiting to see where the hideout was located. Praying that Camila was safe until they could rescue her, Daniel watched as the wagon pulled into the open doors of an abandoned warehouse and then quickly closed behind it. Trapped. Camila now was alone behind the sliding doors with dangerous men who didn’t think twice about killing his mother. Lord, help us!

******

Working for Mr. Parrino for fifteen years, Johnny Gambini knew he liked things uncomplicated. Smooth transactions. Easy takes. What should have been a simple smuggling job had quickly turned dangerous to the whole operation. Johnny just prayed that he was not Vincent Parrino’s target when he found out about the girl.

Unfortunately, the first person Johnny laid eyes on when climbing down from the wagon was his boss, the boss, “Mr. Parrino...”

Exuding all the power and wealth of a boy who grew up in the Italian mafia, who now was one of the elite mob godfather’s in New York city, Vincent Parrino snuffed out his cigar with the heel of his Italian shoes as the waft of smoke still circled his head. The drug business was new for him, and although it was legal in the states to sell opium, it was the thrill of skirting the taxes and not letting the government know exactly what he was up to that enticed Vincent into this deal.

He normally did not take such a hands-on approach to this part of his business, but the contents of these crates were valuable and he was anxious to get the rest of his shipment processed and on the streets. Not to mention in his opium club. If the crate Johnny brought him last night was any indication, this was top quality opium and this little smuggling operation would be a new branch of his organization. This would also get Carlos Maretta off his back wanting to partner with the opium club. Now that Vincent could provide his own opium, he could get rid of Carlos one way or another. Yes, Carlos would have to go.

“Johnny, I expected you earlier.” Not much earlier, but Vincent liked to let his men know that he wasn’t pleased, it always made them want to do better.

“I’m sorry sir. We encountered a little problem,” Johnny started towards the back of the wagon as Vincent Parrino stopped in his tracks.

“Problem? I don’t pay you for problems. I pay you to handle problems.”

“Yes sir, well Tommy here is not as familiar with handling problems and he jumped the gun so to speak.” Johnny opened the back of the wagon to reveal a knocked out woman laying on the floor surrounded by crates of opium.

“She came to the outer cave when we were moving the crates out. Tommy felt like he had no other option than to knock her out.”

Vincent raised an eyebrow, “And what would you have done differently?” He wanted to know why Johnny would not have acted so hastily. Now he needed to clean up his upstarts hasty actions.

“I would have talked my way out of it. Even if she questioned it, by the time we were finished we were moving locations. If the police would have believed her, they would have just found tracks in the dirt.

“True.” Vincent looked in on the young woman with the brown hair and beautiful face laying unmoving in the back of the wagon. “Who is she?”

“We believe she is the light keeper’s daughter. But Tommy did not stop to ask questions.”

“Hmm. Attractive. Take her to the room in the back with the cot. Make her comfortable.”

As Johnny carried Camila to the back, he heard Mr. Parrino tell the other boys to unload the crates so they could begin processing the raw opium.

******

Trying to remain still and pretend she did not know what was going on around her, Camila attempted not to gasp or stiffen when she heard the orders to unload the crates. This would not be good for her when the mob boss found out that his drugs were no longer in the crates. With Camila found in the cave, it wouldn’t take them long to figure out that she knew what was going on. And more importantly, what were they going to do to her to get that information? If only she could have warned Franklin, Daniel and even her father. Her determination to help and be a part of the action had landed her smack dab in the middle of trouble.

She felt herself being lowered on to a lumpy mattress in a smelly room. The floor was rough and worn by the sounds the man, Johnny’s feet made on the wooden slats. After she was laid down, more gently than she would have expected, Camila heard his feet retreat out the door and then the latch close on the door. Allowing herself a few moments to compose herself, Camila waited for him to leave before she stood up and checked the door. Locked.

Taking a look at her surroundings, Camila noticed a window high up on the wall, well above her head, a table and four chairs and another cot, just as dirty and lumpy as the one she had been laid on. She was considering moving the table under the window and trying to get out when the door behind her opened.

Vincent walked in and like in any other situation, he commanded the room. Camila turned around and for the first time took in the mob boss that had not only hidden drugs in the caves, but had ordered Daniel’s mother killed. In that one instant she knew that her life was in the balance. The whim of a man who valued life so little that he would murder and get people hooked on drugs. His eyes were cold and calculating. Although his stature was not as tall as Daniel or Franklin, the older man carried himself like he was the most powerful man in the city. And in most likelihood, he was.  

“I see you're awake. I apologize for my associates hastiness and the bump on your head.” Automatically Camila’s hand went up to touch the back of her head where the small knot had formed. Offering Camila a chair at the table, Vincent sat down across from her, observing her every move. “What’s your name?”

“Camila Underwood,” with nerves she didn’t know where they came from she asked, “and yours?”

“I’m sorry, I should have introduced myself, Vincent Parrino.” This was the first time in many years that Vincent had come in contact with someone who did not know and fear him.

With more charm than Camila expected, Vincent asked, “If you don’t mind me asking Camila, may I call you Camila?” when she nodded he continued, “Why were you alone in the cave?”

Knowing that Camila had no choice to answer, even if he formed the question giving her the option to remain quiet, she gave the most honest answer possible without letting him know that she knew what was going on, “I’ve lived at the lighthouse my whole life. I often use the cave as a quiet thinking place, a retreat you might say.”

Vincent laughed, “Not many ladies would consider a dark, musty cave as a retreat.”

“Not many ladies grew up with a lighthouse for her home. I’m comfortable with the sea and the beach.”

“Hmm,” Vincent knew the way she carried herself that Camila was brave. Not many, including his own wife, would have stood up to him the way this young woman did.

The door opened and a man Camila had never seen walked in. He approached Vincent and leaned down to whisper in his ear. From the quick look of shock that passed across his face, Camila knew that Vincent Parrino, godfather of a crime ring knew that the drugs were not in the crate. Oh he hid his shock well. But because Camila knew what he was being told, she saw the flash of anger and disbelief. The calm resolve that flashed across his face scared Camila even more, because now she knew he would take his anger out on her.

“Camila, it seems that we have a problem. The contents of the crates have been altered.”

Cocking her head to one side, Camila tried to act confused, “Crates? What crates?”

“The crates that were being stored in the cave.”

“I’m sorry Mr. Parrino, I did not see any crates until I was in the cave and your men were carrying them.” She thought about it for a moment then added, “do you trust your men? I mean if they are the type of man that would hit an innocent woman over the head, knocking her out. I’m just wondering, would they also alter the contents of your crates.”

Vincent smiled, he wasn’t sure if Camila knew what was going on or not, but he admired her spunk and quick thinking. “Hmm, that gives me something to consider. But, I really don’t believe my men would alter anything I own.”

“Mr. Parrino, I really have no idea what you are talking about. I was going into the cave today because I just needed a quiet place to think. I’ve had a lot on my mind lately and need to make some decisions concerning my future.” Camila figured she might be able to use Franklin’s proposal to her advantage, maybe she might make it out of here alive. “You see, my beau asked for my hand and although I love him, I want to make sure this is the best decision for both of us.”

Vincent was torn between congratulating her and browbeating her to find out exactly what she knew. He went with the gentlemanly thing to do, browbeating would come later, “I would say congratulations, but if you are having to think about it this much, then maybe not. May I inquire as to your intended?”

“Franklin and I have been friends since childhood, I guess this is the natural next step, but you understand. Nerves are getting in the way.”

“Franklin?”

“Yes. Franklin Jacobson.” Camila felt bad about using Franklin this way but she hoped if Vincent knew the Jacobson name, and the fact that he had been using the Jacobson ships to smuggle his drugs might gain her freedom.

She didn’t miss her mark. Vincent knew exactly who Franklin was and the fact that he had been using his ships for smuggling, unknown to the owner of those ships was the first thought in his mind. The second was that Franklin would be looking for his intended. But that didn’t stop the fact that he felt like Camila knew something she was not saying. He wanted that information more than anything.

“Johnny!” Vincent yelled, making Camila jump in surprise at his gruff tone. When Johnny opened the door and entered, Vincent gave his order, “Miss Underwood is thirsty, please bring her some water.” When Johnny looked at his boss, Vincent gave a slight nod, “Hurry up now. She has been through such an ordeal.”

When Johnny entered again with a glass of water, Camila did not want to drink it. Her hand shook when Vincent placed it in her hand. How could she get out of this? “Thank you, but I’m really not thirsty.” Camila tried to set the glass on the table, but Vincent held it in her hand.

“My dear, you really must drink. I don’t want your inteneed to think we did not take care of you.”

Smiling sweetly, Camila tried to object again, but she was afraid if she fought too hard that he would figure out she knew he was up to something. She held the glass to her mouth, but did not swallow or even allow the liquid to even pass her lips.

“Now, now Camila,” Vincent tisked, “drink up.”

Thoughts of throwing the glass against the wall crossed Camila’s mind. She was unable to do that when Vincent lifted the glass and stroked her throat with his finger. The action seemed more like a caress than what it really was, forcing someone to drink something they did not want.

Trying not to swallow, Camila coughed a lot of the water out, but could not help but swallow some that was being forced down her throat.

“There you go, feel better?” Vincent asked, but didn’t wait for a response because for Camila the room began to spin and slowly she lost focus and blacked out, collapsing in Vincent’s arms. “Sure you do.”