The Light Keeper's Daughter - Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Running down the street, hiding from view, gun shots rang over his head. He found his feet pounding the streets running. No. Being chased away from the familiar streets and was in the dark dingy docks. Every time he thought he was safe, someone would come out from behind a crate or corner spotting him and he would begin running again. His side ached, his feet throbbed with every pounding on the cobblestone streets. Dashing into a warehouse on the dock, he found relief from the pursuers in the dank smelling crates. Darkness settled over him and finally he felt he could leave in the covering of night. Gunshots rang out, guns pointed at him. He would surely die. How could he not? They had found him.

A fitful sleep, tossing and turning, he wasn’t sure what was nightmare and what might be a true memory. He woke sitting straight up in the bed dripping sweat and frightened. Not just for his safety, but those that harbored him. Was someone really after him, chasing him? Would they assume he was dead at sea? Or was this all a nightmare brought on by his weak body and fever?

The daylight outside had faded and when he woke up, it was night. He knew immediately he was not alone. “Who’s here?” he ordered in a gruff and sleep deprived voice.

Camila cleared her throat, “It’s me. Camila,” her voice was soft and caring, like swimming in a cool spring on a hot day. She came closer and placed a cold rag on his head. “I came to check on you before turning in and you seemed distressed. When I opened your door I noticed you were suffering from a fever and...” she let her voice drift off and he knew it was because she knew she was not suppose to be there. Alone with him. It was different when she had been nursing him, but now that he was conscious, he knew people would see this as inappropriate.

His mind went to his dream, he could not endanger her and her family for caring for him. “Tell me again about how you found me? Was anyone around?”

Camila’s brown eyes looked at him through the dark shadows of his room. He could tell she was trying to remember every detail as she stared off, not making contact with him. The pale moonlight came into the room, now unobscured by a passing cloud, and a pale light across her face. “I thought at first you were a wounded animal with the sound of the sea beating you against the rock you made a moan unlike anything I had ever heard before. You were clothed, but your shirt had been shredded up against the rock and your chest and back had scrapes showing the beating your body had taken.” Camila closed her eyes and Daniel knew she was reliving the events, like a picture show, “I don’t know if you were there all night or fighting the waves. The tide had been in a few hours and was starting to go out. When you came to on the shore, I wasn’t certain if you would live or die. All I knew was you needed help. No one was on the beach but me, so I ran to the house to get Father and Miss Bonnie.”

“Would your father know how many ships passed by in the night before you found me?” he watched as Camila’s eyes fluttered open.

“Father keeps track of the ships that come close to the shore, so yes. If he can tell what type of ship it is he writes it in a log book. But you don’t have to ask him.” Camila shrugged like she wanted to tell him something and finally consented in doing so, “I logged the ships for him that night.”

“You?” He realized afterwards that his voices was harsher than he intended.

Camilla nodded slowly and did not make eye contact with him, “Yes, I spend many nights helping Father in the lighthouse. As long as I get a few hours sleep before mother wakes up, and a few hours in the evening, I can help him at least half the night.”

Although he was taken back by the news that Camila worked alongside her father, and she was keeping it from her mother. Yet, it did not deter him from asking, “How many ships?”

Closing her eyes again, Camila cocked her head slightly to the side and then opened them again looking directly at him, her brown eyes sparkled showing him how much she loved the sea, “Four.”

“Are you certain?” he watched intently as she nodded, “what type of ships?”

“One passenger, one Navy vessel and two cargo.”

“Anything else about the night that might explain how I became part of the ocean?”

Camila nodded, “It was a terrible, stormy night,” she took a deep breath before she continued, “I would not have been surprised if the sea had not stranded a boat on our shores.”

“Stormy? How so? Rough water or wind and rain?”

“Everything. The swells out on the ocean were very large. I watched through the spy glass as a wave almost capsized a cargo ship.”

He lost himself in thought. The boat he was on could have hit the rough waves and maybe he was just thrown overboard by accident, bumping his head and lost his memory. Was it possible he was working on the boat as a member of the crew or an officer, and was tossed over as a wave hit? Maybe, just maybe, his dreams about the rough sea and hitting his head had nothing to do with the flashes of a gun going off and that was just the lightening from the storm. Perhaps there were not men out to do him harm. He didn’t even realize he was speaking aloud until he heard Camila’s reply.

“You think someone threw you overboard?” Her eyes were large and he knew she reached out and took the rag off his head so she could have something to do with her now nervous hands.

“No. I don’t know. It’s just the dreams I’ve been having about being in danger. Just in my dream there is someone out there looking for me and wanting to harm me.”

“Oh.” It was all Camila said, yet her face flashed with worry, dread and then hope. He wanted to take the worry away from her. He shook his head to get that thought out of his mind, not knowing where it came from. Danger might just be around the corner and it may also come to anyone with him. Protection, that is what she needed. He needed to get well and get out of this bed so he could protect her! “Don’t worry, no one will look for you here. We are about five miles outside of town. I think anyone looking would go there first and Mother would hear the gossip.”

He couldn’t help the grin that came on his face, “So, she’s that connected?”

He loved the smile that made her eyes shine, Camila laughed softly, “Yes! She knows everything and everyone and if there is a hint of gossip, my mother knows how to find it.”

Watching Camila wring out the cloth in the basin of water, he wanted to get to know this woman who was caring for him, bringing him from the brink of death. Yet another part of him wanted to protect her, even from himself.

“Bonnie sent some soup up for you.” Camila stood and walked to the dresser where a covered tray was placed.  

“Thank you,” he had not realized how hungry he truly was until she lifted the cover and the scent of chicken soup filled the air. Camila approached with the tray and positioned it on his lap. She fluffed some pillows behind his back and looked about nervous. He thought that maybe she was looking for something to do. Maybe an excuse to stay close to him he hoped.

“Camila, come sit. Keep me company as I eat.” he nodded towards the now vacant chair next to the bed. “Come tell me about yourself and this lighthouse.”

He could tell that he picked a subject that she loved to talk about as she grinned and her eyes twinkled. “Well, my great-grandfather was the first light keeper when the light was built in 1780, commissioned by President Washington. He said that being so close to the New York harbor, this stretch of land really needed a lantern to light the way home and the dangers of the reefs close to our shore. So, the keepers of this light have always been Underwood’s, I don’t know what father will do when he retires.” Camila’s voice trailed off as in thought.

“You mean since he doesn’t have a son?” Camilla nodded.

“He will be looking for an apprentice in the next few years. I think he is waiting for me to... well I don’t think he wants to have an apprentice while I am still at home.”

“Won’t he have to anyway, one day?” Camilla gave him a look like he was missing something and he must have been because for the life of him he couldn’t get what she was silently trying to tell him.

“I guess. I just wish that things were different,” sighing, Camila rose and went to stand by the window. He could see the worry on her face like she had a decision to make and it was eating at her bit by bit.

Without warning Camila turned to face him, “We really need to come up with a name for you, I can’t keep calling you sir and nothing at all.” A mischievous grin played across her face and it made him smile.

“I kind of like that. Man of mystery thing.”

“Don’t you mean man of misery?” Camila asked with a grin, “sorry, that seemed funnier in my head.”

“And she has a sense of humor,” he smiled back at her. “And it was very funny. Don’t worry about the bruise on my ego or anything, that will heal like the rest of my bumps and bruises.”

“Seriously, you need a name. You don’t remember anything? No childhood memory or how you came to the ocean a few days ago?”

Shaking his head he said, “No. I wish I did.”

“Well, we need to find a name that fits,” Camila smiled up at him, “I have a few suggestions, but I don’t know if you will like them.”

He sighed, “Let me hear them.”

“Casanova, Don Juan and Cyrano, just to name a few.” Laughter sparkled in her eyes and for a moment he was lost in her laughter.

“Why would you suggest those names?” He loved her sense of humor and this give and take in their banter.

Camila settled back in her chair and looked him in the eyes and with a touch of sarcasm and a lot of amusement she said, “Because sir, you are the biggest flirt I have ever seen.”

“Only when I have someone worthy of my attention,” he smiled back at her and put his hands on his heart to show how her words wounded him, “but if you don’t like my attention, I will do my best to refrain.”

Ignoring his last statement, Camilla sighed, “I guess you didn’t like any of my suggestions.”

Smiling he said, “Although I am flattered, no I do not care for those names.”

“Chase?”

“Why that?”

Shrugging, Camila smoothed her hands over her skirt getting out an imaginary wrinkle, “I believe the term is a skirt chaser?” That did make him laugh and laugh hard. Suddenly Camila put her soft little hand on his, and he almost lost himself in the gentle touch. “Shhh! You’ll mother or Bonnie will hear you.” Leaning back in her chair and putting her hands back in her lap, Daniel immediately missed her touch, she continued, “I have wondered if you were like this...” Camila waved her hands between them, “you know, a flirt before you lost your memory?”

“I don’t know. But, I am enjoying it now.” Clearing his throat and trying to clear the wayward thoughts in his head, he asked, “so, any more bright ideas for a name?”

“Well, Jack?” Camilla shrugged.

“Why Jack?”

“I don’t know, Jack of all trades I guess.” Camila really had no idea where it came from but when she said it, she felt like that would be a perfect name for him.

“Hmmm Jack. I kind of like it.”

Camila nodded, “Jack it is then.” Standing, Camila took up his tray and headed towards the door. “Sleep well Jack. For tomorrow, tomorrow we will try to find out who you really are!”

The door closed, and already he was missing her. Why? He had only met her, but there was something about her that drew him in. It was like they were attached by an invisible force and all his life he was not complete until now, in her presence. But that was ridiculous. He had only met her yesterday, well in reality four days ago. He didn’t know if he had a wife or a love in his previous life that was now looking for him or missing him. Yet a part of him knew, knew down deep in his soul that Camila Underwood was quickly becoming the sun to his universe. He had washed up on her shore, and he should leave as soon as he could and not bring his trouble to her doorstep. Something deep inside him told him he would never want to voluntarily leave her side.

He laid back in the bed and smiled at the names she had chosen for him. Did she really think he was a flirt and a Casanova? Then the thought that maybe she was drawn to him like he was drawn to her came into his mind. Leaving might be the best thing for them both. But until then, he would bask in her presence.