The Light Keeper's Daughter - Chapter 6

Chapter 6

After lunch on the beach with Daniel, Camila retired to her room for a couple of hours of sleep. She knew her mother would not be happy about her sleeping in the middle of the day, but she really had not rested much since her dream woke her up last night.

Camila’s Dream

She knew this place well, it was one of her favorite places on Earth. She grew up on the catwalk and now she was standing there looking out at the vast sea in front of her. The wind was whipping wisps of her hair loose from her coiffure and she sensed him behind her. She knew who it was without looking. Daniel placed his hands about her waist and they stood watching the boats in the distance.

The sun was rising on the horizon and she placed her arms on his, wrapping her hands around her stomach. She knew without turning around that he was dressed in the soft cotton covering that her father would wear when he was attending the lantern. It felt soft to the touch and Camila turned away from the breathtaking view to look in Daniel’s face. A stray dark brown hair curled and fell across his brow and Camila reached up to put it back into place. If she was being honest, she only wanted to touch it. Feel it between her fingers. She let her hand trail down past his chocolate brown eyes and down to the scruffy morning growth on his jaw. It tickled her fingertips as she stroked it and smiled.

His face leaned down towards hers and his lips caressed hers. It was sweet and gentle and everything she imagined his kisses would be like. Before she knew it, his lips were pulling away and a grin was crossing them. “You are so beautiful!” he sighed.

Camila awoke satisfied, rested and with a smile on her face. Looking out her window she  knew dinner would be ready soon, so she arose and began getting ready for dinner with her parents, unsure if Daniel would be there or not. Dinner was the only meal the family shared together. Something her mother insisted on from the time of Camila’s birth.

She had planned to go and talk to Franklin today, but she was happy to have the conversation postponed for another day or two. She didn’t want to tell her mother until after she spoke with Franklin, only because she was afraid her mother would try to talk or guilt her into marrying him.

Dinner smelled delicious. Camila could smell it before she even descended the last step of the staircase. She hadn’t eaten much the night before and skipping breakfast and a light lunch on the beach earlier did not tie her over like she thought it would, she now felt like she could eat a horse. To prove it, her stomach growled loudly as she rounded the corner heading towards the dining room.

As soon as she entered the room, she noticed Daniel sitting at the table and her thoughts went to her dream and she knew she blushed heavily. She could feel the heat on her skin rising from her neck to her checks.  “How are you doing this evening?.” Camila tried to smile, she could not take her eyes off of him dressed in some of her father’s clothing, but filling it out in a more pleasing manner. Again her mind was assaulted of him in her father’s smock from the dream.

Looking at her, he smiled and offered, “Quite well, thank you. After lunch on the beach I returned to my room and rested quite nicely.”

“I’m happy to hear that. And you are feeling well? No more fevers?”

“No. The fevers have gone and I don’t think I have properly thanked you for your care when I was ill. I will never forget what you and your family have done for me.”

“Daniel, it sounds as if you are preparing to leave.” Camila looked quite surprised and disappointed of that thought.

“I can’t stay here forever. I need to find out what is happening and who I am.” Daniel stood and walked towards the window looking out past the front porch to the sea beyond.

Camila shook her head, “You can’t do that. Walk into danger not knowing who is out to hurt you! You’re by yourself and that is a death sentence.”

“I can’t stay here and bring danger to you and your family.”

“Why not let us help you. Mother can hear if anyone in town is looking for you. I can help you. Father will help you also.”

“I can’t ask you to do that. I have already taken too much from you.”

“You are not asking. We are offering and Father would feel the same way. He has told me he thinks you are a good man. He wouldn’t want danger to come to you.”

“But what if I brought danger to you. Would he feel the same way?”

Voices sounded from the hallway, and Camila moved towards her chair across from where Daniel was now standing at his chair. “Well talk about this later,” she said then quickly added, “Promise me you won’t do anything rash without telling me.” Staring at him intently he finally nodded his agreement as her parents entered the room. Her mother had been in town all afternoon and Camila cringed at the stories she would tell. Franklin was sure to be at the top of those stories, dropping hints to Jack that she was taken. Or so her mother thought.

“Good evening children,” Edward chuckled, “Daniel, I have been told that you have a small portion of your memory back. That is good. I would like to present my wife Mrs. Underwood.”

“Mrs. Underwood it’s a pleasure, thank you for your hospitality,” Annabella held out her hand and Camila knew in that moment that he must have been raised to be a gentleman because he took her mother’s hand and brought it to his lips like any gentleman would. Actions like that were ingrained into a person and he did it so naturally, Camila knew that even his memory loss could not change who he was on the inside. “Although I don’t remember my last name, Daniel is my Christian name.”

Everyone sat down at the table and Bonnie served the dinner. Everything was delicious and Camila noticed how their guest had a large appetite. He even helped himself to an extra helping of beef stew and three biscuits. ‘Well,’ she thought, ‘he has been in bed for several days. This is his first day up and around, no wonder he is eating so much.’

Conversation was limited with Daniel not remembering anything of his past except for his mother’s death. This was not something Camila wanted him to retell after doing so earlier today. It was all she could think of as they were on the beach and she was afraid for him that he would go out alone and try to solve his mystery on his own. So conversation at the table was interesting to say the least.

Annabella made sure that Daniel knew all about Franklin. The only thing that had not been revealed about Franklin was the fact that he had proposed, and that was probably because he was too much of an honorable man to tell anyone that he had asked Camila for her hand while still waiting for her answer. Although her father gave her knowing looks, she discovered quickly that her mother had not yet been informed of the offer of marriage that was now on the table, so to speak. That was a huge relief to Camila. She could turn him down and salvage their relationship as friends without her mother knowing.

“Suzanna told me today that they will be taking one of their ships to England. Thomas is adding passenger staterooms on the cargo ships. It was Franklin’s idea. They might even build several passenger ships to add to their fleet.” Annabella looked pleased with herself, not only was the gossip good, it was as if she wanted the stranger to know where they stood in the community and where Camila stood with Franklin.

“When I was leaving, Franklin arrived. Camila, he said to send his love and that he would call on you soon. I, of course, asked him to stay for dinner when he visits.”

Camila looked at her parents then caught the gaze from Daniel who was sitting across from her, she turned back to her mother and said, “Thank you.” Casting her eyes to her plate, Camila did not want to see the look on his face. She had made her decision and for some reason the opinion of the man across from her mattered, when it really shouldn’t.

But his image from her dream kept coming to mind. His touch, his kiss, his eyes staring into her soul like he knew everything about her. She felt the blush rising on her cheeks and tried to hide it by taking a sip of cold iced tea to cool her off. When she looked up, Daniel was looking at her and it was like he was reading her mind with the slight grin tugging on his soft supple lips. Then her blush grew warmer.

******

With dinner finished, Camila needed to get some fresh air. She stepped out to the bluff and allowed the sea breeze to ease away her thoughts that had been plaguing her all day. Daniel. What was she going to do? How could she help him with his memory and keep him safe at the same time? Why was she having this strange feelings for him? And how could she get him out of her mind when he was living in her dreams, both day and night?

Sitting down on the weathered bench at the edge of the cliff, Camila pulled her knees up and wrapped her arms around them, resting her chin on her knees she looked out to sea. She noticed a ship in the distance and in the background heard her father head up to the lighthouse.

Franklin would certainly want an answer soon. With him coming soon, would he expect it then? It had been almost a week since he proposed. She knew he was trying to give her time, but so much had happened in that week. So much that she wanted to share with her best friend. But how could she tell the man that loved her, that wanted to marry her, that she was falling in love with someone else? Was that what this feeling was? Did she love Daniel?

And what of his past? He still only remembered his mother’s death. How could she help him gain his memory? Keep him safe? And what would she do when he had that memory back? What would she do if he had a wife or a lover?

******

Daniel had taken his leave to his attic room after dinner. He wanted to talk to Camila more, but her mother seemed intent to talk about Franklin. Someone Daniel had begun to despise before even meeting him. Surely Franklin knew how lucky he was to be marrying Camila. Daniel had only just met her a few days ago and knew the woman was special. He left the lantern off in his room and walked to the window. She was down there now. He watched as the lighthouse shown it’s light out and passed over her sitting on a bench by the cliffs. This must be her favorite place, he had seen her there several times over the past few days and it was a beautiful place. Not as beautiful as Camila he thought and then smiled.

She must be thinking about Franklin and his proposal. Why would she turn down someone as wonderful as her mother made him sound. According to Mrs. Underwood, the fellow hung the moon and stars in the sky, just for Camila. He apparently has loved her a long time. But she confessed to him that she loved him as a brother. Would she be content in a marriage with no passion? Would she marry out of duty and obligation, not wanting to hurt Franklin’s feelings? Suddenly his heart filled with dread.

Daniel shook his head. He should not be worried about this woman and her decision. He had other pressing  matters. Like who was he? Why was his memory gone and why did he wake up with a knot on the back of his head? Did he get the knot as he washed up on shore? Or was he hit over the head and dumped into the ocean left to die? That thought made a chill run down his spine.

Lying in bed, Daniel looked up to the wood slats of the ceiling. Willing for any memory to come to mind of his past, anything. Nothing. The only thing he remember was his mother’s death and then waking up in Camila’s arms on the beach. The pain in his body was now a distant memory. The exhaustion and the weariness he still felt. His eyes grew heavy and he drifted off to sleep. A very restless sleep.