Chapter 24

Chapter 24

Saxon

                Josh’s pack had poured in from all of the surrounding woods, their fur bristling, their fangs glistening in the light. A few witches accompanied them, some looking uneasy, others bored, but one, Cecilia, looked as if she was thoroughly enjoying the chaos unfolding around her. I swallowed as my pack gathered around me, Marc in the lead. We stood huddled together, looking meek, and undersized compared to the pack before us, whose muscles rippled with the wind that howled over the trees. Josh stood near the center of the field behind our estate, somehow managing to get past the barriers. I was guessing the witches had something to do with it. One of the witches was muttering, her lips moving. Something shimmered in the air, and a piece of the steel barricade on the estate melted down, dripping down the sides of the house to reveal some of the wooden paneling.
That can’t be good.

                “What do you want, Josh?” Marc’s voice rang cool across the frosted grass. Josh leaned against the dark wolf beside him, even though the beast shifted uncomfortably.

Brent.

                “The usual.” He hitched his thumbs into the jeans of his pockets, sneering slightly. “Except, this time, I don’t think I’m going to leave room for you and your pack.  I think after I kill most of them off, including you, they’ll be rather suited to join mine. Especially with a few hundred extra acres we’ll be getting soon. I heard the woods over here are breathtaking this time of year.”

                “Is that so?” Marc retorted drily, his expression a blank slate. “They seem rather dull to me. Although, it might have to do with pest population at the moment. I’ll have to get that in check.”

                Josh snorted, his frame trembling slightly.

Marc has him rattled already. Good.

                “Ladies?” Josh beckoned to the group of witches, who shuffled. A girl with dark hair and darker eyes quirked a brow.

                “We’re not here to fight the wolves.” She said, crossing her arms. “Only to make things go boom.” Her tone was reprimanding as she looked at Josh with distaste echoing through her words.

                “Then let’s show them some fireworks, shall we?” Josh grinned. The girl huffed, snapping her fingers. A moment later, the garden exploded, and the steel barricades of the house groaned and shrieked, slumping down in several places. Dirt rained down on the pack, many who shifted to their wolves in fear but Marc stayed eerily still.

                “Alpha?” I asked softly, unsure of what he wanted to do. “We won’t be able to protect everyone inside. There’s too many and I’m guessing our system is shot now.”  Marc didn’t move, clenching his fists.

He thinks we’re going to lose.

                Marc grabbed my shirt, jerking me forwards, speaking lowly in my ear so no one else would hear him in the aftermath of the explosions, which were now going off all around us, but only meant to confuse rather than harm. I could see the line of Josh’s pack advancing cautiously.

                “Remember in the office?  I go down and you leave. Regroup in the city. I already had all the files and documents backed up and sent to your dad’s.” I felt my fists clench when he told me this. “Everything you will need is accommodated for. Don’t die.” He pushed me away, shifting into his russet colored wolf. Raising his head, Marc let out a low howl, his voice rising above me into the night sky. Josh responded by shifting and answering his call.