Chapter 21

(Ginger)

                “Hey sleepy, open your eyes.” Someone prodded my shoulder and my eyes snapped open in response. Chamile was leaning over me, grinning. “So you know now?”

                “Know what?” I groaned, sitting up, while rubbing my eyes against the harsh glare of the light reflecting off the waterfall. We seemed to be back in the soul center again.

                “Don’t tell me you already forgot.” She drawled, shaking her head. “About the wolf…?”               

                “Oh. Right. That.” Cam frowned at my response.

                “You don’t sound very enthusiastic.” She wasn’t wrong, but she wasn’t right either.

                “I’m not entirely sure what to make of it. And Garret…”

                “Yea. He’s in on it too. At least you don’t have to keep it a secret from all of your family, you know?” She furrowed her brows, sitting cross-legged beside me. She was right. I wouldn’t know what to do if I had to hide it from everyone. But it wasn’t fair. Having a mate cost me my family. Or maybe lack of a family was the reason Saxon was with me.

                “I know. I just… I don’t know what to make of it.” Out of nowhere Meeko materialized beside me, his smile seeming to split his face in two, almost glowing against his tanned flesh. He pulled down a dark haired boy besides him, keeping one arm around the thin boys frame.

                “Hiya Ginger. Long time no see. And I know you’ve met Cayden, right?” He pulled the boy slightly closer, his eyes twinkling. My jaw unhinged. Cayden was here? He was ok?

                “I’m so sorry!” I blurted, covering my mouth with my hands. “It’s all my fault that you-”

                “Don’t.” Cayden shook his head, pulling his knees to his chest. “I don’t want to hear it.” Meeko’s eyes dulled slightly, his grip seeming to tighten on Cayden’s shoulders.

                “He’s still adjusting.” Meeko spoke softly, gazing at the moody boy beside him.

                “You’re talking like I’m not even here.” Cayden tensed, becoming smaller as if sunk into himself. Meeko sighed, shaking his head.

                “Sorry Cade.” Cayden’s green eyes flashed with pain but he didn’t say anything else to Meeko.

                “Anyways, things not going so well, huh?” Meeko brightened his expression, tilting his head in the way a puppy would. I guess he was a werewolf too. That explained all the dog jokes. He had been Marc’s brother so it would make sense. Meeko rolled his melted chocolate brown eyes.

                “Yes, yes, I am. Now, back to the topic at hand. You. Blondie. Yay or nay?”

                “Meeko you sound ridiculous.” Chamile leaned against the stone floor, staring up at the sky. He didn’t respond, staring at me with a solemn flare in his orbs.

                “I don’t know.”

                “You know he won’t hurt you?”

                “He said that.”

                “Do you understand why he was so back and forth with you?”