Chapter 22

Chapter 22

Saxon

                The auditorium was dead silent. No one spoke. No one moved. The only thing I could hear was the steady breathing of the pack. Marc stood at the podium, exchanging a glance with me. Liza was on his other side. Our mates stood towards the corner of the stage, since they wouldn’t be talking.

                “Last night, war was declared on Josh Blackstone’s pack.” Marc began, eliciting a ripple of shocked murmurs in the gathered crowd. They hushed without further instruction and the alpha continued.

                “You all remember Cayden,” Several nods and wry looks answered him. “Last night, we found him dead.” I ignored the memory, crossing my arms while scanning the crowd’s reactions. “Blackstone pack scent was all over his body.”

                “Are you sure it was them?” A man named Grant spoke up, his steely eyes gauging the alpha’s posture. Marc responded with a sour grin.

                “The dismemberment of his limbs could’ve been any passing animal, but considering his fingers were specifically cut off at each joint before he was torn apart and his heart was staked to a tree, I’m going to say it wasn’t Smokey the Bear.” Marc’s thinly veiled anger caused the air to thicken. “And earlier yesterday, he tried ambushing Anderson and his mate on our side of the border, complaining about how he needed more land. Any more questions?” Silence.

                “Alpha?” A mousey woman, with wide doe eyes and lightly tanned skin spoke up.

                “Yes Becca?” Marc tilted his head, waiting for her to continue.

                “What do you need us to do?” She questioned, seeming to fall back behind her hair. Marc nodded to me and I stepped forwards.

                “I’m glad you asked.” I grinned, trying to lighten the mood. “We’re going to kick some furry ass, is what we’re going to do.” A few of the guys chuckled.

                “Liza,” I beckoned her forwards and she stepped up, already knowing what I was going to say. “You and Rick are going to be working on combat training in wolf form. Pick two more qualified to help and one can assist you from six to noon. Rick, whoever you choose will do the noon to six shift. We need you both to do four sessions, ninety minutes a session. You’re folder is already on the table. Create a checklist. Everyone above fifteen needs to go once a day and it’s up to you to make it happen.” Marc made a motion and he continued where I left off.

                “Dakoda is going to reinforce the shelter where those too young or too old will stay when the battle takes place. She needs a group to help her gather supplies for the bunker and another to stabilize it. That is also where the infirmary will be with Dr. Rowan. If he asks you to help him, I want no complaints.”

                “We also need you to fill up shifts to watch the cameras. Three hours, three people. Watch the cameras and warn us if you see something suspicious. Signup sheet is in the kitchen. Another signup sheet is beside it, meant for patrols. Each of you will get a radio or a cell phone if something goes wrong. Another group needs to be ready to go out and bring in supply trucks. Check to make sure they are safe before they enter and unload them.” I said. Marc cut me off again.

                “We realize not everyone is capable of fighting in their wolf form and they will need to be able to protect themselves if the enemy breaches the house and we are unable to get here in time.” He slipped something out from beneath his shirt near the hip, revealing the dull gleam of a .40 caliber Glock. “Trace Anderson will be holding three meetings on the basics of a gun for everyone. There will be a short practice session after each and further practice sessions will be held for those who will need a gun just to be safe. These lessons will not only protect you but your pack as well. The list of names and those who will be attending them when and where is near the exit. You’re either one, two, or a three. Saxon and I will also be attending the lessons with you and periodically dropping in to make sure everything is running smoothly. If you have any questions, feel free to bother Saxon.”