Chapter 16 Part 1

Ginger

                I had elected to sit alone in the empty field for lunch the next day. My “friends” kept giving me queer glances when they thought I wasn’t looking, as if I was some sort of stranger. Not only had I left the school (although briefly) with Saxon Anderson but my brother’s suspension was poison in the air at the moment. Sitting in a room surrounded by whispers and blatant stares wasn’t very appealing.
                “Ginger?” I spun around, not expecting anyone else to be outside. Dakoda stood several feet away, her head tilted quizzically, like a lost puppy. I had never really heard her talk before and hearing her smooth honey voice in my ears was foreign.

                “Oh. Hi.” I frowned, mentally wincing. My mother wouldn’t like the way I had started a conversation so lamely. I could practically hear her nagging in my ear.
                “What’re you doing out here?” The girl asked, her hazel eyes wide and warm, calming for some reason. I shrugged halfheartedly.

                “I wanted some fresh air.” I tried to keep an upbeat edge to my voice but she didn’t seem to believe it, sitting down beside me as if we were old friends.
                “It gets a bit much, doesn’t it? All those people looking at you like that.” I blinked in surprise. How did she notice?

                “It’s not too bad.”  I lied, not wanting to pour my frustration on her, while simultaneously mulling over the fact Dakoda was actually conversing with me. I had never seen her so much as glance at anyone outside of her social group. It was unnerving.

                “Hm. Ok.” She let the subject drop as if she sensed I wanted nothing to do with the other students. Dakoda stretched out, leaning against a tree, her hazel eyes wandering towards the sky. “You’re very good at keeping your emotions under control, you know?” Dakoda didn’t look at me, but I could feel my shoulders tense.

                “Oh?” A flat note streaked my tone. It didn’t feel like it. My emotions always seemed to be zigzagging across the board.

                “Not a bad trait to have, is all I meant.” Her lips curved slightly, and for a moment, I wondered if the near silent girl wasn’t nearly as innocent as she seemed. “How’s your report for English going?” She changed topics, clearly dominating the conversation, although it was a welcomed relief for once.

                “I haven’t started yet. I was going to go to the library after school.” I admitted, a sense of normalcy settling in the air. “I haven’t figured out what I’m going to do yet.” Dakoda nodded.

                “Me either actually. I can’t decide between-”

                “Blah, blah, blah.” Someone cut in and some kid –Josh possibly?- slid from the shadows near the tree line. “Is this what girls talk about? School work?” Dakoda didn’t look up from her spot, her gaze fixed on the sky. I could see her composure freeze over, her eyes tightening before she smoothed the tension, facing Josh with a polite smile.

                “Would seem so.” She shrugged, her shoulders loose. Had I imagined the brief moment of rigidness?

                “Considering the position you’re in, it seems strange that two girls like you would be so utterly boring.” He snorted, his eyes flashing over to me for a brief moment.