The Scare

The Scare

Trinity's POV

A few hours earlier

As soon as I got home, my phone started ringing and buzzing and frankly being annoying.

Missed call - Liz (6)

Six missed calls from Liz? Good lord... why did she want to get a hold of me so badly? I quickly got cleaned up, took a shower, and watched as my hair gained volume. Finally I decided to call her back.

"TRIN! Finally, good god girl. What the hell happened today?"

"You saw that?" I said, twirling a peice of har around my finger. Liz scoffed.

"Who didn't see it? Or, let me rephrase that. Who hasn't heard about it yet?"

I rolled my eyes. "You act like it's a huge deal. I was just pissed, and I let it go on him. No biggy."

Liz scoffed again. "Trinity you are truly an idiot. You looked like a crazy person! And the things you were saying..." she trailed off. I tried to think back to what I said.

"Like what? I didn't say anything bad...ok I cursed but that doesn't-"

"You're so confused. Who did you meet? You know that that would never-"

"Liz, you're a good friend. But I don't know if I want to go on living on this leash. I'm bound to the bottle, and it's weighing me down." I started to lose my temper again. "Why do we even have these stupid things? They're horrible! We don't get any freedom in life!"

"Trinity, you need to calm down before you do something idiotic."

"Oh I'm the one being idiotic! No, the only person with sense in this world is considered idiotic. Brilliant." I ended the call. I couldn't listen to Liz anymore.

Only about a minute had gone by when my phone buzzes again, temping me to look at the screen.

Unknown number : Hey Trin, it's Tucker. Just felt like texting you and seeing if you're alright - I didn't mean to make you upset today, it just sort of came out - I'm rambling. Just let me know, though ~

I sighed, quickly sliding the keyboard open.

Trin: I'm ok, and it's really not your fault. I'm just confused, and hating the world a bit. But what else is new, right?

Tucker responded quickly every time, and we talked for what seemed like forever. I found out we liked a few of the same bands, had each read the same books growing up and now we're discussing a wonderful fanfiction written about it. As I got to know him more and more, I could feel my bottle's weight grow and grow, an obligation at my neck I couldn't ignore.

Tucker had to leave eventually, and I fell back onto my bed with a sigh. Could things be any worse? I held the bottle in my hand when an idea came to mind. I grabbed a pencil and decided to try something - just to see what would happen.

I started prying at the cork. Of course it was sealed, but the material the cork was made out of... on regular corks, they broke apart easily. As soon as I made a dent in the wood, though, my bottle grew hot. Scalding hot - I dropped it, and it singed my shirt. Screaming again, I watched in horror as sparks flew from the cork. An ember touched my cheek - I started to get hysterical as I pryed the bottle off my neck. My hand was on fire as I gripped the glass, tugged the chain from around my head. Throwing the bottle at the floor, I backed up against my wall and waited for the horror show to end.

The spakrs fizzled, and the bottle lay looking harmless on the floor. I waited for my parents to come rushing to me, to help me. But they didn't- I remembered now. I was home alone. I looked at my hands - they were shaking, and they had big, red imprints on the palms. I broke down and started crying for the umpteenth time that day.

When I was finished, I poked the bottle with my finger, gingerly picking it up in my burnt hand. I almost started crying again when I tried to make a fist with it, the pain was so intense. The glass was now cool, but I inspected it anyway. The dent I had made in the cork was gone but - I inhaled sharply. Across the top of the cork, the word destined was smoldering, burned into the wood. I watched as the bottle disappeared from my hand and placed itself around my neck.

Oh my god.