Chapter 26: Devin

Chapter 26: Devin

Though I was never an early bird, the fresh snow from the mountains called out to me. I have always been a fan of the snow. Just the way it fell between my fingers, felt relaxing. Mountains of snow was my definition of paradise.

Immediately getting up from the uncomfortable couch, I went to my luggage near the couch to get my winter clothes. Connor was sleeping soundly at the couch across of me. His blanket had fallen, and his legs and arms were sprawled all over the couch. He snored loudly last night, but thankfully, he wasn't as noisy now.

Eager to feel the snow, I changed into my thick clothes right in the living room. I prayed no one would come in, and I prayed especially for that someone not to be Faith. To my luck, The Lord answered my prayers, and I left the house, not feeling violated.

As I trudged on the snow, I was glad it wasn't very deep. However, now and then I'd sink down, and I'd have to force my foot out of the snow. The small wooden shed I needed to go to wasn't very far, so I reached it in no time.

Inside were all my family's snow equipment; our goggles, helmets, snowboards and skii's. Unlike my brother, I didn't skii, I was more of a snowboarding kind of guy. I was about to open the door, when I heard a noise from inside. It sounded like a lot of things falling. I sighed, a squirrel must've gotten in or something. But when I opened the door, I was greeted with a surprise.

Faith was sitting on the floor, with things ranging from goggles to gloves, scattered all around her. Her hair was a mess under her gray beanie, and white earmuffs. The orangle lenses of her goggles covered her bright green eyes, making them seem a khaki green color. She had on a puffy forest green jacket that seemed too big for her. In her hands were a pair of black skii poles, and attached to her boots was some pink skiis.

To say I was amused at the sight is an understatement. I shook my head, chuckling, "Have you ever skied before?"

"Nope," she replied, popping the p sound. Throwing my head back I laughed, and a shade of pink appeared on her cheeks.

Once I took a hold of myself, I sent her a sloppy grin. "Then what are you doing with my mother's skiis?"

Her blushed darkened. "I-I just wanted to learn," she stuttered, and finally looked me in the eye. "Do you know how to skii?"

"Nope," like her, I popped the p. Then I walked past her mess, and to the shelf at the back. Grabbing two snowboards - mine and an extra one, - I held one out to Faith. When she didn't make a move to get it, I dropped it on her lap. She stared at it like it was a whole new world.

I smirked at her reaction, "I snowboard."

***

"Balance, Faith! Balance!"

"I'm trying!"

I watched her try to balance on her board. Faith and I were on the easiest snow slope, also know as, Circle Slope. Around us were children, being taught by their children and mentors. There were only a handful people our age around.

Faith's hands were outstreched on her sides in an attempt to balance herself. Snow sprayed behind her snowboard as she began to pick up speed. She cheered loudly, noticing she lasted longer than ever before, but sadly, she spoke too soon. Her board began wobbling, and her body followed it's actions. Faith tried to stop, but that made things even worse for she flew forward and landed flat on her face.

I threw my head back and laughed. When she had her first few falls, I was concerned, but now, it felt like I was on a comedy show, and Faith was the star of the show. Once my laughs died down, I glided my snowboard smoothly on the snow, and stopped right beside her. Snow splattered on her face when I stopped. This made a huge grin set on my face.