Chapter 21: Faith

Chapter 21: Faith

The week flew by quickly. Connor and I haven't talked since Monday, and same goes for his brother. Connor hasn't tried to communicate with me through the phone ever since I rejected him that day. His brother however, I have no idea what is going on. Devin isn't exactly avoiding me in school, but he isn't exactly trying to talk to me either. All in all, the Tuckerson brothers are very confusing.

It didn't bother me a lot though, considering I had company. Cameron and I were becoming really close friends. My attraction towards him was growing bigger and bigger with every second I spent with him. We seemed inseperable. He'd walk me to every single class I'd have, like how he promised. Sasha couldn't stop teasing me about Cameron and I. She really wanted to have a double date with us, and her boyfriend, Ashton.

Recently though, Ali, hasn't been talking to me. She was the first girl I met in school, and I expected to be best friends with her, but instead, I was closer to Sasha. In fact, I felt like Ali wasn't too fond of me, and I didn't know why.

The bell rang to signal the end of school. It was Friday, and I couldn't wait to go home. I pack my things, and shove everything in my backpack, not caring what may get destroyed. I swing my backpack on my right shoulder, and walk out of my last period. My feet instantly took me to my locker.

As I approach my locker, I notice a familiar person leaning on it. "Devin?" I say once I'm right in front of him.

He turns his head then sighs, "Finally! I've been looking for you! Where have you been?" Now that was odd.

"Why were you looking for me?" I ask, ignoring his question.

"I need you to call Rosie," he says.

"We already tried that Devin, you know what happened."

He frowns. "I know, but I have a good feeling about this! Maybe she'll listen since I gave her some time."

I sigh, "fine. I'll call her but with what phone?"

"Connors!"

Immediately, I choke. I remember how he asked me out... And how I rejected him. "I-I don't think that's a good idea."

"You don't have to talk to him." Devin knew? "I'll get it from him and you use it." Yeah, he knew.

"I think your brother should talk to her instead," I still wasn't going to the risk. Besides, Connor calling made more sense too. Devin runs a hand through his hair. "I think she'll listen to your brother more." I add.

"Or maybe not," Devin replies.

I give him a small smile. "You'll never know unless you try, and besides, we've already tried me calling her. I think it's your brothers turn!"

Devin doesn't say anything. He stares at me for a while, and then finally, he sighs. "Okay," he nods his head. "I'll get my brother to call her. When I get the chance to call him. Since college and all." I knew Connor was in college already, but I figured he'd have a lot of spare time. Besides, I know how much Connor cares about his brother. I'm 100% sure he'd call Rosemarie lightning fast.

From the corner of my eye, I can see Cameron approaching my locker. Once he's near me, Devin looks at him, gives him a nod, and leaves us. No goodbye. Nada. It's obvious that the relationship between Devin and I is complicated. But I'd rather have it complicated than be enemies, considering he had a lot of power in school. Though I may not care a lot about the status quo, I'd still like to have and keep my friends.

"You know Tuckerson?" Cameron asks, snapping me out of my thoughts.

I look at him, and I'm again dazed by the color of his eyes. "Yeah I do," I reply a little later than I intended too.

Cameron notices my slightly late reply, and the corners of his mouth tilt. "How?"

"It's complicated."

He chuckles than changes the subject, which I am grateful for. "So, what are you doing on Saturday?" Cameron casually leans his shoulder and head on the locker next to mine.

"Nothing really," I try to appear nonchalant. I hope this is going where I hope it is going. I open my locker and stick my head inside. I play with the books inside my locker in the attempt to seem as if I'm actually doing something, when in reality I'm just trying to hide the huge smile on my face with my locker door. "Why?" I slam my locker shut. Immediately, I look up at him with - what I hope is - a poker face.

"I was wondering..." Cameron looks down at his feet, which were slowly shuffling back and forth. "If you wanted to um," He places a hand on his neck, rubbing it uncontrollably. Finally, he looks up at me. "Go have dinner with me?" He finishes his sentence quickly that I almost wasn't able to catch what he said. Almost.

Without my control, a hug smile appears on my face. "Are you asking me out on a date?"

Then his face begins to grow into a shade of pink. "I-I don't know." He's still rubbing his neck, and his eyes were darting all over the place.

"So this is just a friend thing?" I cross my arms in front of me, and raise my eyebrows. It's funny seeing Cameron act this way. It's hard trying to stay serious at this rate. I want to laugh so badly.

"No!" He shouts whilelifts his arms to protest. But when he notices his eagerness, he coughs, and repeats himself again in a much more quiet manner. "No."

"Oh?" I act surprised. "So what do you want it to be called?" I step forward so our chests are inches apart.

Cameron turns beet red at my question. He shakes his head several times as if trying to shake the color out of his face. But to no avail. After a few seconds of him just staring on the ground, he gets a determined look on his face, and stands up straight looking me in the eye. "A date." He confirms. "I want  it to be called a date. I want to go on a date with you."

And so I just smile, and put my arms around his neck, pulling him in for a hug. He's a little surprised at first, but he hugs me back and rests his head on my shoulder. "I'd love to," I whisper in his ear. Then he buries his head on the crook of my shoulder in embarassment, however, I can clearly sense the huge smile on his face.

Cameron really is a cutie.