Chapter 5: Faith

Chapter 5: Faith

My baby finally arrived last night. It was my pride and joy since I raised my own money to pay for it. That was the way my parents tried to make me more independent. They didn't want to get me a car until graduation. Plus, we were never exactly rich enough. So, I saved up for a second-hand car. All those days of babysitting the neighborhood kids paid off.

After grabbing a quick breakfast, I wished my mom goodbye, gave her a quick kiss, before walking out the door. Dad was already out in his new job as a manager in a popular electronics company.

I unlocked the door of my Toyota Camry and got in. I wasn't really sure where the school was. It was some school called Philipps Academy.

I drove past numerous trees, admiring it's tall stature. I admired the beauty of trees. There was something about their tall bark, outstretched branches and leaves that would change color and fall depending on the seasons, providing shade for everyone that just appealed to me.

Eventually, I decided to ask for directions. I don't think I was making any progress just wandering around aimlessly. I stopped in front of an elderly man sitting on a bench on the sidewalk. He seemed friendly enough.

"Excuse me, sir."

He looked up from the book he was reading and eyed me carefully.

"How may I help you, young lady? Shouldn't you be on your way to school?"

"Yeah, that's what I need help with." I smiled sheepishly at the man. "Do you know where the school 'Philipps Academy' is? I'm new here and I'm kind of lost."

"Oh! I used to attend that school back in the day."

I was surprised at this piece of information. How old was the school? By the looks of the man, the school must be at least 50 years.

"You're not that far away from it, actually. Just go straight and take a left on the next turn." The old man continued, unaware of my thoughts.

"Oh, thank you. Have a nice day, sir." I smiled politely at him.

"No problem."

I put my foot on the accelerator and drove to my new school, following the mans directions.

When I reach the school, my eyes widened. The school was huge, gigantic, enormous!

There were freshly cut grass lawns lining the front of the brick school.

Students were milling about the school wearing stylish clothes, waiting for the bell to ring. I looked at my own clothes. Wearing a pair of comfortable jeans and a plain white tee, I was a bit intimidated by the obvious expensive clothes, shoes and bags most of the girls were sporting. I was kind of surprised a school like this didn't have a uniform.

I shrugged it off. Oh well.

I park my car next to a Porche and a Ferrari and suddenly I was embarrassed with my own car. I was proud of my baby but compared to these expensive vehicles, I admit it looked like crap.

Fortunately, no one was paying attention to my lack of luxury. They were too preoccupied with their own business to notice me.

Grabbing my bag and exiting the car, I slammed the door shut and hurried up the steps to my new school.

The inside of the school was even bigger than it appeared to be from the outside. The walls were squeaky clean and the lockers on the side were free from vandalism. The hallways were wide and not cramped like I was accustomed to. In my old school, the students were packed like tuna in a tin can.