Chapter 22

Lucy's POV

I can't help but smile when I wake up and feel Ian's arm around me and his hand resting on my still-flat belly. Knowing that there's a human being growing inside me still doesn't feel real and the ring on my finger as well as the fact that Ian proposed last night feel too good to be true. It's the most beautiful ring I've ever seen in my life. It's a vintage pearl and diamond combination with a pear-cut diamond center and even though it's not the typical engagement ring, it's perfect and screams my name.

I slowly turn around to face Ian, careful not to wake him up, and caress his cheek. I'm the luckiest woman alive for having him by my side, even after everything that happened in the past. If you told me, a few years ago, that we'd be here right now, I would have laughed. I mean, I was in a relationship and Ian had been dating Sophie for years and their relationship looked perfect from afar. Yet here we are, engaged and a few months away from having our first child.

Our relationship isn't perfect, it never was, far from that (I guess the last 24 hours prove my point); we have problems, we argue, we have busy schedules that make us go days without seeing each other sometimes but we always try our best to make things work and we talk about our problems and how we feel and I'd say that's the secret of our relationship: communication.

"Good morning." Ian says, "Why are you so smiley?"

"Good morning." I reply and gently kiss his lips, "I'm the happiest person alive, all because of you. Thank you for last night."

"It was my pleasure." he replies, running his hand through my hair.

"Did you really buy the ring in Paris, 2 years ago?"

"Yes. As I told you, we were walking around, shopping, and when I saw it I knew I had to buy it for you. Believe me when I tell you I would have proposed right there and then, but I knew you weren't ready so I decided to wait. Little did I know I'd have to wait for 2 years." We laugh, "When we came back home, I hid it where I knew you'd never find it and it stayed there until a few days ago. No, actually I had to take it with me to Memphis the last time we went there so I could ask your parents for their blessing and believe it or not, you almost found it in the suitcase but I walked in right on time."

"Have I ever told you how much I love you?"

"Maybe..?" he smirks, "But it wouldn't hurt to hear it again."

"You're everything I could have ever asked for and more. You're the most amazing person I know and you've done more for me than anyone else. You always believed in me, and you helped me fighting my demons when most people would have run away as fast as they could. You were there for me when I woke up crying in the middle of the night because of the nightmares, you literally saved my life even after I told you we were over without any explanation and you always managed to make me smile even when I thought I couldn't. You know me better than I know myself, which is kinda scary, not gonna lie." I laugh, "You drive me crazy sometimes and I absolutely hate when you scare me just for fun but I love you. You and this baby are the most important people in my life and I'd give my life for any you."

"God, I love you so much." He whispers before crashing his lips on mine. Before I know what's happening, we're in a heated make-out session, everything around us long forgotten.

A few minutes later, we're interrupted by the sound of my phone ringing and even though I'd rather ignore it and keep doing what we were doing, Ian reminds me it might be important so I get it from the bedside table to see who's calling, "It's Maggie." I tell him.

"I'm going to go walk the dogs and we'll have breakfast when I come back, ok?"

"You can stay." I tell him.