conclusions and memories

James was hiding something and Caroline knew it. "They let me go because they found out I wasn't worth anything." She said. James raised his eyebrows. "You're a detective. You work for the police. You saw their faces. They wouldn't have  let you go if they hadn't given you something to do. So what do they want you to do?" He asked.

"Nothing." She said and immediately regretted it. Come on, you're a detective. You should know you mustn't give that answer, she thought. "You can tell me. I will tell you what happened to me." James said. Caroline nodded in agreement. "Okay." She couldn't escape from this. "Do you remember the Ellis McKenzie case two years ago?" James asked. Caroline nodded.

"They want me to find her." Caroline looked up confused. "But we couldn't find her then, why could we now? we've spent a lot of time on this one." She said. "Indeed. But I think they work for her family." Caroline was getting more and more confused. "I understand that. Only, that doesn't sound at all like what my kidnappers told me to do." She said. "Tell me then, what is it?" James asked.

"Ehm, well, they told me to let the case with the murdered woman fail." That kind of answered the question which had haunted James since he left from the hotel. He leaned closer to Caroline. "Listen. I think you're kidnapped by someone else. There must be a second person involved." Caroline nodded. It was very logical. "So what do we do now?" She said.

"It's highly likely that the people who kidnapped you killed the woman. So we just solve the case." James answered. "Two problems. I'm not working on the case anymore." She said. "Yes, I'll talk to the boss about that. And the other problem?" James responded. "I think they will kill me if I don't sabotise the case. And maybe they'll kill us both now, because I told you about them."

James thought about that. "What about this: we let the case fail but secretly solve it." Caroline looked puzzled. "We would need a forensic on our side. Do you know someone you can trust?"

"Maybe. remember Jim Washington?" James asked. "Yes.. He seemed quite nice. Let's ask him." Caroline answered.

Jim Washington was at the lab, researching the murdered woman when he heard a knock on the door. "Can we come in?" Someone asked. Oh no. He knew that voice. He almost panicked but quickly put the instrument he was working with away and said: "If you want to."

"We do." James said. There was something in Jim Washingtons voice that reminded him of his kidnappers. But what? He gestured to Caroline she could come in too.  "What can I do for you?" James was really confused now and stared at Jim Washington. Caroline answered for him: "we wanted to ask you something." She said. "Well, go on." Jim Washington responded. He had to concentrate on something else to not blush. What if James recognized him?"

"Um, in private, if that's possible." Caroline said. "No problem. We can go outside." Jim said. Oh, how stupid. This was getting worse and worse for him.

"So, we were wondering," James looked at Caroline, "if you can do something for us. It has to be kept secret, you see." He said. "I see. I'm very willing to do whatever you ask, considering you're in a higher position." Jim said.

"Thank you. It might sound strange, but you just have to agree with us all the time, okay? Make sure the results of the forensic investigation fail, but keep the right results and give them to us." James said.

"Okay guys, I don't know what's going on here but I guess I don't have a choice. Or do I?" Jim answered. "No, I'm afraid not, Jim.

Will you do it or will you tell the boss?" Caroline asked. "Alright then. I'll do it. I have to go now."

He quickly walked away. He just couldn't stand it anymore. He was sure James had recognised him. But why did they want him to do this? Why was Caroline here? More importantly, why was Caroline here with James? What if he'd told her about the orders he'd got? Why wasn't James busy with the Ellis McKenzie case?

James thought about Jim Washington again. It had to be his voice, he thought, he only remembered having the feeling of recognition when he heard the voice.

A thought came to the surface of his mind, but before he could grab it with the tentacles of his brain it was gone.

His thoughts wandered to the night he'd spent in the hotel when he was kidnapped.