The murder

"Hello? Is anyone there?" She said to her phone. Someone had just called her during her daily walk in the park. She waited a few seconds and then put her phone away. As she did that, she noticed she wasn't alone anymore. A bold man with sunglasses was walking next to her. She started walking faster, hoping the man would leave her alone. And he did, or at least HE did. She didn't notice the other man in the yellow clothing following her silently. She still had a few metres to go before she was home, when she fell down. A bullet had entered her body.

Detective James Edwardson was at the office in London. He was at the office a lot, but not always to work. there hadn't been many cases this year, and he wasn't as busy as normally. He only came to the office because he wanted to avoid his wife. they had been together for almost ten years, but time had done harm to their relationship. they were in the middle of a divorce now, and he didn't want to be at home. He had to move out, so he was busy searching for cheap houses when his colleague, Caroline Johnson got in. "What are you doing?" she asked. "Oh, nothing", he said as he clicked the website away. "There's a new case. A woman's body has been found. We have to go to the location." James quickly got up and grabbed his coat. He already felt the joy of having something to do.

The murder had taken place just outside the northern part of the city. Edwardson noticed it was near what was called the "black neighbourhood", a quite criminal quarter of London. A man quickly walked towards them. James read the letters on his suit; a forensic pathologist. "She was shot from near by. She was dead immediately." The man said. "By the way, we haven't met earlier. I'm Jim Washington. Forensic pathologist." "James Edwardson. This is my colleague Caroline Johnson." James said. "How long has she been dead?" "About four hours", Jim responded. "She was shot with a .22 gun. If you'd follow me, I can show you the body." A few forensics were busy with the body. "As you can see, she was shot in the back. if you calculate the angle in which she fell and the way of the bullet... the killer must have stood around here." Edwardson walked towards the place Jim was pointing at. "That seems not logical. why would you stand on an open place if you can just hide on the other side of the street? It's highly likely that someone has seen the killer. Caroline and I will ask the neighbours a few questions."

They walked to the closest door and knocked. Noone answered.  "We'll go round here after we finished the other houses". Caroline said. But when they tried the other houses, nobody answered. "The lights are on in most of the rooms. Are they scared for the police or are they all not home?" "Or they are all dead". Caroline said. they laughed, but as they realised that what she had said could possibbly be true, they stopped and looked at each other. "Shit. what if the killer actually killed every possible witness? we have to go inside a house." Caroline ran towards the first one. James had to sprint to catch up with her. "Wait! we shouldn't go in there with just the two of us. Let's call for some cops."

As they waited for them to arrive, they inspected the outside of the house. they soon noticed the open window and the bit of rope hanging out of it. Jim walked towards them. "This must have been the house of the killed woman. what are you looking at?" Caroline pointed towards the rope. "Someone has been inside." "Or is inside." James said. Two police cars arrived and four policemen got out. "Let's go inside."

One of the policemen opened the door slowly. He stepped in and gestured to Caroline and James they could come in too. "Are you going upstairs? I'll check out downstairs." James said. He opened the first door, on the right. It was the kitchen. Nothing strange at the first sight. He walked around the small room for a better view but still didn't see anything abnormal, so he went on to the next room; the living room. The same. It was the same for all the rooms downstairs actually, except the toilet, which had flooded. He went upstairs to help Caroline. At least, that was what he wanted to do when someone punched him in the face with a metal object and he blacked out.