the other case

James Edwardson didn't immediately recognise him. He'd spoken only briefly to Jim Washington and in that time he hadn't specifically paid attention to his voice or accent, or even what he looked like.

"So, we've met before." The man said. "Did we?" James asked. "Yes, even yesterday. Maybe you've forgotten, but I wouldn't expect that from a detective." James quickly went through the people he'd met yesterday. His wife, neighbours, boss, Caroline, the four policemen, Jim Washington. Seven men. Or he had skipped someone, or one of these was standing in front of him now. "Do you work for someone?" He asked. "Maybe. Maybe not. You'll never know. You're only here for the Ellis McKenzie case. Remember?" The man responded. James remembered it. It had been a tough case, and they hadn't been able to arrest anyone.

Two years ago, a girl named Ellis McKenzie went missing. She belonged to a very rich family, but her family hadn't become rich in a great way. Her uncle owned a factory in China where children worked fourteen hours a day for nothing. They were slaves. Her parents kidnapped children and brought them to the factory. It was a family business. They were very mighty and controlled many important people with their money. Till Ellis disappeared. Her parents didn't want to call the police, in case they would lose their money. So her private teacher did. He was still in the hospital in coma, the family had almost killed him. the police hadn't been able to find the kidnapper of the girl or the girl herself, but had made an end to the family business. They were all in prison now.

James had known that this case hadn't ended yet. So what did these people want?

"we want you to find her."

Plural. So he worked for or with someone. "Why do you think I'd do that?" James answered. "Because of you don't, we'll kill your friend Caroline." Boom. Had the woman lied or was he bluffing? "You won't."

"So that means you're doing the job?"

"No, that means you're bluffing and you haven't got her." James could only hope he was right.

"Ah, you've seen through my mask. No, we haven't got her. But we know someone who has. So I'd just find Ellis McKenzie if I were you."

"Why do you think I can find her? I've spent a lot of time on this case and I haven't found her then. Why would I now?"

"Because you have got almost all the information. And now that the McKenzie family has nothing to lose anymore," the man said, "they can give some extra information you need to know."

So this man worked for McKenzie, James thought. "How can I work when I'm locked in a hotel room?"

The man laughed. "I knew you were going to take this case again. You can't let her die, can you?" James didn't show any reaction, although he was furious. "Well then. Go back to the police station and work. Simple. But remember, you're being watched."

Then the man started laughing. Louder and louder, till he suddenly stopped and looked at James. "Remember?" He said, as he started laughing again and slowly walked away, backwards, facing James. He sighed when they were outside.

Caroline Johnson was back at the police station. She had left immediately. Well, after the man had told her what to do. The first thing she was going to do today was going to her boss and apologize. The man had clearly told her not to tell anyone about her kidnapping. She'd say she had been ill a few days and hadn't been able to reach the phone. Weak story, but better than nothing. "Where have you been? I thought you didn't have a day off." Her boss said. "I was ill. I'm sorry I didn't call the police station." she responded.  "You really should have. We have placed someone else on the case with the murdered woman." No, no, no. Of course she knew that this could happen but the man's instructions were clear: go back to the station, sabotage the case. He hadn't told her why, but he had to have something to do with it. He'd also said they'd murder James if she didn't let the case fail.  So she had to work on this one. "Can I have it back? I've only been away a few days." Too many. "I want to speak to you later today." Her boss said.

"Hey Caroline. How are you?" a voice came from behind. "James?" She asked confused. "We need to speak. Do you have time now?" James said. "Yes, of course. While they walked to a restaurant Caroline told him she didn't have the case anymore. "Oh, that's bad. So you practically don't have anything to do now?" James said. "Sort of, yes." They sat down at a table and ordered some drinks.

"Listen. I want to know what happened to you in the house." James said. Caroline sighed. "You first." James leaned back. "Well, okay then. I was downstairs but there was nothing. So I went upstairs to help you, but someone smashed something in my face and I blacked out. Now you." He said. "I went upstairs and in the first room I was pulled down and blacked out." Caroline answered. "So... what happened after that?" James asked. Could Caroline tell him? "eh.. I.. woke up. In a cell in the basement of a house." James raised his eyebrows. "Was there anyone with you?" He asked. "At first not." What should she tell? "But then?" "A kind of creepy person. And someone else. What about you?" She asked. "I woke up in a hotel room in the Black part. There were people with masks." James struggled with the same question. Should he tell her about the orders he had got? He had the feeling Caroline wasn't telling him something. What was she hiding? Did it have anything to do with his kidnapping? He needed to know. "But, more importantly, why did they let you go?" He asked.