2. We Broke Up, Sort Of

2. We Broke Up, Sort Of (Andrew's POV)

"Andrew, honey." Mom started.

I ignored her.

"Wake up." She continued. "Time to go to school."

I just groaned in response.

"Hey, you don't wanna be late." She said, pulling the covers off my shirtless torso and shaking me awake.

I shook her off, "Five more minutes." I promised her in a groggy voice.

"Don't give me that lie." She reprimanded. "If I had a penny for every single time you said that but didn't do it, we'd be a billionaire."

I didn't reply.

Whatever, she'll just wake me up again after five minutes anyway. She usually do.

"Andrew," she called when she noticed I'm dozing off again. But I also noticed that her tone has changed. "Emma's going back to school today."

That woke me up.

My eyes opened instantly. I looked at my mom to see if she's serious. When I saw her frown, it confirmed what she said.

"She is?" I asked her, rubbing sleep off my eyes.

"Yes, Krista just told me." She said. "Get up now so you can see how Emma is. I don't know what happened between the two of you, but I want you to at least show that you care. You haven't even gone in to see her in the hospital since the last time you were there! You never came back. Make it up to her at school, come on." She told me before adding, "And since when did you have bags under your eyes? All you've been doing is sleep around here."

Oh mom, if you only knew that I've stayed up all night outside Emma's room, you'd be very proud.

But instead I decided to just joke it off, "Hey, I'm very proud of my eye bags. I stayed up very late to earn them."

She lightly chuckled. "When you see Emma later, promise me you won't tell that joke to her. It's horrible."

"It got you to laugh, didn't it?" I countered.

She lifted her chin, proud. "It seems that you're fully awake now. All I needed to say was Emma's name."

"Why do you sound so pleased about that?" I asked her, warily.

"It's obvious that you still care for her!" She replied with a big smile. "She hasn't said a word to Krista about you two either. Why can't you just tell me what happened during your last visit?"

"Because, it's just between Em and I." I reasoned.

"See!" She cheered, making me jump. "You still call her Em! Which means you really do care for her."

"Of course I care about her." I replied, giving her a weirded-out look.

"So why don't you just tell me what happened? Please?" She pleaded.

"Sorry. It's something Em and I really want to keep to ourselves." I insisted.

"Come on!" She complained like a five-year-old having tantrums.

I sighed. "Mom, can't you just be glad I've woken up now?"

Her shoulders dropped. "Fine."

I just chuckled at her, shaking my head.

She headed for the door. "What do you want for breakfast? Four strips of bacon and two slices of my-son's-too-secretive-about-his-love-life?"

I gave her a flat look. "Funny. You should try being a little more sassy sometimes, mom."