Chapter 12: Dark Days Ahead

That night, Adam and I have trouble sleeping, on account of the whimpering and whispering going on in the next room, Ayla and Ciro’s room. The conversation, all puns set aside, is as clear as mud.

“She’s coming to get me, Ayla… I know she is.”

“Who is coming to get you, my love?”

She is, Ayla. You know her.”

“I do? Who is it, Ciro?”

“I already told you, she is coming to get me. She wants my soul, Ayla…”

“Well, whoever she is, she cannot and will not have your soul; I will do as I always have done and protect you, my love.”

“Don’t waste your time in taking care of me, Ayla. I can-!” Ciro must have seen something, a hallucination, because he didn’t talk for quite some time. At this point Ayla seems worried. Adam and I decide to investigate this queer incidence

“Ciro; are you alright, my love? Can you hear me, Ciro? He’s not responding, Marie. What do I do?”

I bite my lower lip, trying to remember what Aunt Kellie told me to do if a person is not responding vocally. “Try testing for other senses. Pinch him; if he responds to that, we at least know he’s alive.”

Ayla pinches Ciro; he doesn’t move a muscle. “Why is he not responding; is he dead?”

“I’m not sure, Ayla. Check for a pulse.”

Ayla tests his heart rate; she can’t find a pulse anywhere. Now I’m in need of some serious help. “Adam, could you go get Aunt Kellie for me, please?”

“I will do anything for you, sweetheart.” Another dizzying kiss blows me away before he leaves the room. He comes back about ten minutes later, my aunt trailing behind him.

She speaks now. “Adam told me that Ciro is not responding to any treatments. Is that right?”

Ayla nods, her eyes brimming with tears as she speaks, her voice shattered by sobbing once more. “This illness is ruining him, Kellie. I want it gone, but I don’t want him to die… please, I’m begging you… please try to find another way to cure this awful disorder…”

“I will try my hardest, young one. I will ask the Royals what they think is the best solution. As Queen Amethyst also has the illness, both she and King Egan might be able to help you out.”

I feel bad for Ayla, more now than I ever did before. As the rest of us leave the house and head back toward the starting point, I hold my breath. Adam notices my worried expression and strokes my brown hair, now streaked with emerald, just like his own mane. I shift my position and lay my head on his chest. “I wonder what Ilmatar is like at midnight.”

He shrugs and continues to stroke my hair. “I guess we’ll find out.” Not too long after he stops speaking, the car ceases moving. Just like Aiden did when we first came here, Adam strides to the door and knocks. As can be expected of him, knowing his nature, our King’s booming voice echoes through the door. “Enter!”

We enter the magnanimous throne room, only to find Ayla’s grandmother, Violet’s uncle, Katie’s aunt and the Royals all situated around a large redwood table. Ayla’s grandmother is the first to speak.

 “Where is Ciro, Kellie? I thought he and my granddaughter were coming with you.”

“No; we decided that they were to stay home. Something has happened, and Ayla needs to stay there with him.”

King Ilmatar speaks now. “On to the matter of business, then; Kellie, it seems that one of the children has sent us a letter; more specifically the letter was for Egan, but it indirectly addresses the rest of us. Here it is.” My aunt takes the letter and reads it aloud. “Dear King Egan,